ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

linear exr 16 bit float from 3d max to after effects CC, sRGB workspace?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintanalinear exr 16 bit float from 3d max to after effects CC, sRGB workspace?
by on May 8, 2015 at 6:51:41 pm

Im setting up an compositing for animation from 3d max.

the color space is sRGB

do I still need the color profile converter?

and can I select sRGB from the color space or do I really need to install the linear sRGB ?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: linear exr 16 bit float from 3d max to after effects CC, sRGB workspace?
by on May 9, 2015 at 12:47:39 am

If your footage is linear, yes, you'd certainly want to make sure you interpret it as such. You don't necessarily have to work in a linear space, but you probably want to.

You can do this entirely through Ae's color management system without relying on Color Profile Converter.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ali QuintanaRe: linear exr 16 bit float from 3d max to after effects CC, sRGB workspace?
by on May 9, 2015 at 5:34:20 pm
Last Edited By Ali Quintana on May 9, 2015 at 6:26:24 pm

I have set at color settings:

depth: 32 bts float

working space: sRGB

check linear working space

I think thats correct, please correct if Im wrong,

but in working space should have a linear profile, I saw two available on the web, but the site is no longer available, I think it was Stu who made them.

Am I still OK if I just stay in sRGB working space?

By the way, all my 3dMax exr export, when I want to interpret them in AE they are already set to sRGB

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: linear exr 16 bit float from 3d max to after effects CC, sRGB workspace?
by on May 11, 2015 at 1:08:27 pm

Whether your working space is linearized or not has no bearing on the correctly rendering the source footage, as long as you've interpreted it correctly.

Your footage interpretation should like this:

[image]

It's up to you whether you choose to work in a linear space or not:

[image]

Working in linear will generally give you more natural-looking compositing, but a lot of tools, especially image control tools, are easier to use in a gamma-encoded working space.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Ali QuintanaRe: linear exr 16 bit float from 3d max to after effects CC, sRGB workspace?
by on May 11, 2015 at 3:38:28 pm

Thank you, this is exactly as I have it.

All 3d max renders come interpreted as sRGB already.

but in project setting, color settings, working space, you also have sRGB selected, so do I. But there are linear sRGB

See below i found on the net, only the link download for the linear profiles is not available any more......

For film resolution or high-bit depth projects, consider working in a linear color space. There aren't any linear color space presets which ship with After Effects, but Stu Maschwitz has provided files for url(http://home.earthlink.net/~stumaschwitz/blpx/linearProfiles.zip,download from his prolost blog). Unzip them and install them in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles under OSX and C:Program FilesCommon FilesAdobeColorProfiles under Windows. When you restart the After Effects app, two new linear color space profiles will be available for your use.

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2015 at 4:36:58 pm

That's a very old and outdated post. Linear 32-bit workflow was added in Ae CS3, back in 2007. That's the "Linearize working space" button in Project Settings > Color Management.

As I said above, you may choose to use a linear working space, or you may choose not to. Linearizing the working space changes the way math works. Whether you linearize or not, if you have a well-profiled monitor, what you see will be what you get.

A linear working space will give you more physically realistic blending of light and generally leads to easier and more convincing compositing. The downside is that the controls for a lot of tools will feel unnatural, because they are built assuming a gamma-encoded workspace.

For example, apply an Exposure effect to a layer in your project, then adjust the exposure with Linearize on and with Linearize off. You can get the same results either way, but not from the same input values on your effects.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2015 at 9:02:11 pm

aha, thanks a lot, so I can stop searching the net for those linear profiles,

just leave it to sRGB, basically that was my question.

by the way, if I dont need the color profile corrector....as u mentioned before, what is the color profile corrector for then?

at this moment Im not using it, and fist thing i do is apply exosure and levels then while seeing the histogram adjust the gamma in the exopure, if needed exposure(mostely not needed), then I adjust the levels.

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2015 at 9:46:09 pm

[Ali Quintana] "just leave it to sRGB, basically that was my question."

Depends what you want to do. See this article for some good examples of linear vs. gamma-encoded compositing:

http://www.artbeats.com/assets/written_tutorials/pdfs/linear_light.pdf

[Ali Quintana] "by the way, if I dont need the color profile corrector....as u mentioned before, what is the color profile corrector for then?"

1) Removing it would break compatibility with older Ae projects that used it.

2) Keeping it allows the user to manually manage color whenever they want to, with or without using the project-wide color management system.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: linear exr 16 bit float from 3d max to after effects CC, sRGB workspace?
by on May 11, 2015 at 11:05:48 pm

[Ali Quintana] "by the way, if I dont need the color profile corrector....as u mentioned before, what is the color profile corrector for then?"

It's needed for converting from one color profile to another :)

For example: lots of times color values are provided in sRGB by clients, if you enter the values as-is in an effect (say Generate > Fill) or on a text layer in a linearized working space they will be wrong (much too bright). If you enter them as-is and apply a Color Profile Converter and set the input profile to sRGB then they'll be adjusted to look correct in the working profile even if it's linearized.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2015 at 11:38:47 pm

ok, interesting, I am did all the cuts in timeline a pecomposited all the separate shots from 3d Max.

so inside the precomps I will need to extract the EXR files so I get all the render elements. such as reflection , refraction , vray light etc etc....

so we need to use the blending modes in AE, do i need the color profile corrector for this?

I may need some glow and light effects as well....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]