ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera travels down tunnel looks at side wall.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene ConstableCamera travels down tunnel looks at side wall.
by on May 7, 2015 at 3:37:56 pm

Hi I am trying to create a scene in which the viewer is travelling down a tunnel. As we travel down images appear on the side walls of the tunnel so we need to continue to travel but also turn the view of the camera to look to the side to see the images

I have malty's simple camera rig, and have had some success changing the z position of the rig and then adjust thje 'heading' as we travel down. But I cant quite get the move top look right, the rotation to frame the image feels odd as if the point of orbit is wrong, should I be orbiting around the poster itself, but then how do I also continue in a forward direction down the tunnel?

Just going crazy for hours trying to set this up!

see attached pic.

Return to posts index

Frank FeijenRe: Camera travels down tunnel looks at side wall.
by on May 7, 2015 at 4:15:13 pm

I don't know about malty's simple camera rig, but if you would use a 3D-null for the Z-displacement, and parent a (one-node-)camera to said null. This way you keep all the manuals controls of your camera, at a constant pace dictated by your null.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Camera travels down tunnel looks at side wall.
by on May 8, 2015 at 8:36:35 am

It all depends if you want a constant move in Z space (down the tunnel) or if you need to slow down when you look at each image.
For a constant move in z use one 3dNull to control that. Then I would use a series of 3d Nulls parented to each other (top is the one moving in Z space, the rotation Nulls and last the Camera)to animate the camera pan. For smoother more precise moves use 2 Nulls per turn: one for the rotation (pan) in and one for the rotation back.
If you need to slow down you can try to use keyframes and the graph editor or separate Nulls to move the camera in Z space.
When you build your Null stack make sure the camera is centered to the Nulls.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Frank FeijenRe: Camera travels down tunnel looks at side wall.
by on May 8, 2015 at 8:42:05 am

Hi Tudor "Ted",

You've got me wondering: in what way do you achieve preciser control when working with multiple nulls for the rotation, in comparison to rotating the camera itself?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Camera travels down tunnel looks at side wall.
by on May 8, 2015 at 4:21:22 pm

Depending on how you set up your camera- a Null that is centered on the camera will always work as a tripod head. Multiple Nulls will allow for exact smooth moves without having to deal with the graph editor and will allow you to do more complex moves. That is why building a camera rig like in the tutorial you mentioned is beneficial.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]