ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

'Smoothening' subject motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayden Martin
'Smoothening' subject motion
on May 7, 2015 at 12:38:03 pm

Hi guys

I'm taking some footage and slowing it down. I'm happy with the results that the optical flow timestretch give me,

But what is frustrating, is the inescapable jaggedness of the subject's motion - the camera is static, but the subject was a model who is looking over their shoulder slowly - even though they move slowly, you can see irregularities in the flow of their movement...

Is there some way I can use motion vector information to simpy approximate / average the clip's overall motion and eliminate any jerky movements?

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
Re: 'Smoothening' subject motion
on May 7, 2015 at 12:44:24 pm

The way I see it, would be to somehow apply a 'smoothen' expression to the motion vector data, creating more bezier based pixel paths rather than linear

I've seen the effect I'm after done with parallax 2.5D photography using the puppet tool, but I cant do that in this case - fortunately, the model is against green screen though

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 7, 2015 at 3:29:51 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on May 7, 2015 at 3:32:22 pm

There is no bezier-based motion vector data for the pixels in your video. Each frame is exposed individually, so that data doesn't exist until you track motion in After Effects or Motion.

The only way to smooth out motion the way you describe is to either (a) have an incredibly advanced interpolation software (which doesn't really exist), or (b) shoot it at a higher framerate to begin with.

You could always investigate plugins like Twixtor, but really, it's only marginally better than optical flow effects built into Motion or After Effects. If that doesn't do it for you, you will probably need to re-shoot.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 7, 2015 at 3:59:51 pm

[Blaise Douros] "You could always investigate plugins like Twixtor, but really, it's only marginally better than optical flow effects built into Motion or After Effects. If that doesn't do it for you, you will probably need to re-shoot."

The good stuff is in Twixtor Pro, but it's not automatic. Rotoscoping the subject to separate FG from BKG (reducing blobbiness due to crossing vectors), providing spline guidance on moving shapes, etc. is done by hand and is laborious, but can noticeably improve the quality of the motion estimation.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Hayden Martin
on May 7, 2015 at 4:46:00 pm

Great response

can you link me to any video examples of these smoothening techniques happening? examples would be very helpful and then I could probably get hold of a tutorial - unless you have seen one?

Thanks for getting back to me

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 7, 2015 at 5:14:42 pm

Here are a couple of useful links:

http://help.revisionfx.com/search/?p=64

http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/

I find that adding motion blur can help to hide artifacts in optical flow adjusted footage (Timewarp has an option to add motion blur). Of course the reality is that motion blur should be less present in high frame rate footage but who's really paying attention? ;)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 8, 2015 at 2:03:18 am

instead of timestretch, try applying the timewarp effect. It gives you more control over the global vectors, you can increase to 20, filter extreme keeps it sharp and timewarp supports masks too. buts its roto work to be sure.

If you want perfect results, you can buy the new teranex https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranexexpress

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]