ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Video Wall (can anyone tell me if there's a better way?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff RouricVideo Wall (can anyone tell me if there's a better way?)
by on May 7, 2015 at 8:54:51 am

I feel like I'm wasting time creating this effect, so I wanted to come in here and see if you guys know a better way to do this type of thing for the future.

I'm working for a client and I'm trying to make a shot where a bunch (hundreds) of images/movies lined up zoom out and reveal the company logo. Like the logo is formed out of the images/movies going so small that they essentially become pixels. This is how I'm doing it

1: Make a composition with placeholders lined up side by side until that composition is filled.
2: Use the "jump" parenting to do that. Takes awhile
3: Once there's enough images to look convincing, precompose
4: In new comp, add camera and make the placeholders comp 3D
5: Animate camera to start on one and fly out
6: As it flies out, the logo is introduced as alpha matte. It's been blown up so big that it covers the whole screen, but it's slowly shrinking back down to a logo.
7: That's pretty much it. Just very tedious.

This won't look as good as actually zooming out and building the logo from scratch using the images without cutting them off with a mask, but that would take forever and I don't even know if it would work, this is my first time trying this.

I'm looking for each video to be different, so it would require separate placeholders and not just duplicate precomps of a number of them. But once they get small enough, something like CC Tiler could be used since no-one would be able to tell the difference.

The order doesn't matter though, so I thought about doing something like tricking it by say making a folder with videos named VW_1 - 30 (it doesn't matter what the video is) and then importing and placing those into their spots in After Effects, and then deleting the actual video files from that folder and dragging 30 of the videos you actually want to use into that folder, and creating a applescript or something that renames them at random to VW_1 - 30.

This would trick After Effects into using those videos in the places where the same named video used to be, and it would be much faster than replacing footage one by one.

Anyway I'm lost and confused and I think I'm overthinking something which can possibly done relatively easy. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

criis dawRe: Video Wall (can anyone tell me if there's a better way?)
by on May 7, 2015 at 12:34:40 pm

replacing the the placeholders with the correct footage would work how you described and be a bit quicker.

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Video Wall (can anyone tell me if there's a better way?)
by on May 7, 2015 at 3:47:58 pm

Sounds like a job for Trapcode form or Particular with a textured Polygon particle, textured using a single pre-comp with "Split Clip - Loop" set for the time sampling.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:

Return to posts index

Jeff RouricRe: Video Wall (can anyone tell me if there's a better way?)
by on May 8, 2015 at 7:34:52 am
Last Edited By Jeff Rouric on May 8, 2015 at 7:37:15 am

Just an update, I found that the built-in layer alignment function helped A LOT here. I ended up using placeholders and cropped the precomp til 32 placeholders fit in nice and even rows. Then in the outer comp made that precomp 3D and used motion tile to achieve around 1000 flashy color bars. After that I had a seizure and died. After coming back in time to save myself I replaced those placeholders with things that weren't lethal to stare at. All in all a good first experience trying this kinda thing. I'll have to check into trapcode, thanks!

Also I have to learn how to master 3D camera movement...I'd say that took the majority of time, fiddling with the camera...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved