ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Weirdest thing happening with resolution!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matu TiemersmaWeirdest thing happening with resolution!
by on May 5, 2015 at 10:07:28 pm

So I am a video game editor and I am having the weirdest glitch in After Effects, I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what is happening.

When I have the resolution in half everything looks fine, no problem at all.

But when I change the resolution to Full my composition goes bananas, at the same second, and for something around 20 seconds a still image of one of the footage used later appears. And just stays that way. How can this happen? Why is the resolution affecting my composition?

Freezed image:

I need help with this as soon as possible, please reply to this thread!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Weirdest thing happening with resolution!
by on May 5, 2015 at 10:37:48 pm

Tough to tell. Insufficient info.

If you're running Yosemite, make absolutely sure your copy of AE CC 2014 is fully updated. Chedck that right away.

I see a couple of POSSIBLE pitfalls: use of mp3 & mp4. AE in general doesn't take kindly to them. Better to use uncompressed audio like wav or aiff, and transcode mp4's to something like quicktimes in the Photo JPEG codec.

I see the clip with the thumbnail at the top of the project window is 60fps, which is totally weird to a TV guy like me, where the frame rate should be 59.94. Do you have a frame rate mismatch anywhere?

That's all I got for now.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matu TiemersmaRe: Weirdest thing happening with resolution!
by on May 5, 2015 at 11:03:32 pm

Thanks Dave for that fast reply, I really appreciate it!, the clips are 60 fps because they are recorded with a gaming recorder that records games at 60fps. If you look at the nesting in this project you can see I have the composition "Leftovers Ep 7", then I have "Film", and then other tiny compositions. So I want to explain a little bit more, where the problem is, to give you a little more of information.

"Leftovers Ep 7" is the main composition where I add some color correction and not a lot more, then I have "Film" where I have all the gaming clips together in different compositions. When I am in the "Film" composition there is no problem, no freezed image in full resolution. So the problem is in the "Leftovers Ep 7" composition.

The Frame rate for "Leftovers Ep 7" is 29.97 and the frame rate for "Film" is 29.97 as well. I don't know what else to add here, I hope I explained myself correctly. If there is anything more you might need to help me, please don't hesitate on asking me for it.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2015 at 12:24:10 am

If you're messing with time in any way on the clips -- particularly with mp4's -- you're asking for trouble. I'm talking things like Posterize Time, Time Remapping, Time Stretching, conforming frame rates... stuff like that.

You didn't say anthing about the OS & AE versions... are things cool there?

Tell you what: duplicate the main comp, remove the 29.97 nested comps, and see what happens when you change resolution.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Weirdest thing happening with resolution!
by on May 6, 2015 at 12:37:25 am

Also try purging your disk cache and memory.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Matu TiemersmaRe: Weirdest thing happening with resolution!
by on May 6, 2015 at 12:50:22 am

I really appreciate the help, to both of you! Problem solved! My AE version is updated, everything perfect.

What solved the problem was Purging the disk and memory cache from after effects.

But as Dave said, in this type of edits you play around a lot with time remapping and twixtor with mp4 files, can you tell me why is that trouble?

Thanks again to both of you, you saved my life!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Weirdest thing happening with resolution!
by on May 6, 2015 at 3:19:09 am

[Matu Tiemersma] "My AE version is updated, everything perfect. What solved the problem was Purging the disk and memory cache from after effects."

Also make sure you've updated your plugins. Some developers have squashed cache-related bugs over the last few years since the feature was added.

[Matu Tiemersma] "in this type of edits you play around a lot with time remapping and twixtor with mp4 files, can you tell me why is that trouble? "

I have found that recent versions of Ae handle mp4 media just fine -- but this is probably one of the first things I'd test in troubleshooting if I ran into a problem.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2015 at 5:41:24 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 6, 2015 at 5:43:17 pm

[Matu Tiemersma] "...in this type of edits you play around a lot with time remapping and twixtor with mp4 files, can you tell me why is that trouble?"

Let me re-phrase that -- POTENTIAL trouble. Mp4's certainly call on AE to do more thinking when altering time.

It's the nature of mp4 compression. Each and every frame does NOT contain complete picture information. The only ones that do are at specified intervals. For the ones in-between, the codec has to rebuild that information.

So when you fool with time, AE has to:
1) Rebuild those in-between frames
2) Figure out the time manipulation, and apply it to the in-between frames (that don't really exist yet)
3) Rebuild the in-between frames again

But if you use a media container & codec where all the frames have complete information, the process gets a lot more streamlined. Rendering goes faster. The chance for error drops like a rock.

So yeah, Walter's right that the latest versions of AE play nice with mp4 / mpeg / h.264, aka temporally-compressed footage. I just like to nip any problems in the bud when I can. Call me conservative, I don't mind.

Not to mention that rendering mp4 footage back to an mp4 file causes compression errors, which are cumulative, and degrade the image quality. That's another reason to transcode.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Weirdest thing happening with resolution!
by on May 6, 2015 at 5:58:37 am

Try purging memory and disk cache (Edit > Purge > ...).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]