ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects correct way to use camera?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew HuntAfter Effects correct way to use camera?
by on May 5, 2015 at 2:24:47 pm

Hi I am trying to learn how to use the After Effects camera to create movement in 3D space. I am trying to orbit the camera around an object like in this photo: proper3dspace0-00-00-02.jpg

But instead it starts the turn and zooms really far into the object then out the other end completing the orbit.
Like through the object as shown in this photo: proper3dspace0-00-01-17.jpg

I can video it if you want.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects correct way to use camera?
by on May 5, 2015 at 3:14:27 pm

All the learning resources you need are right here on the COW.

Check this out:

Don't worry if it's not YOUR AE version, this stuff hasn't changed in a long time, and it'll answer a lot of your questions.

Now, the COW's organization of it's oh-so-valuable AE tutorials isn't the best. It stinks, in fact.

But Todd Kopriva, the guy in charge of After Effects for Adobe, has thoughtfully compiled the COW's AE Basics series into a handy page of links. You should check it out:

These babies are great. Learn away.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: After Effects correct way to use camera?
by on May 5, 2015 at 5:50:21 pm

It sounds like you've set just a few position keyframes. You should check in one of the orthogonal views (Top, probably) to see what your motion path looks like. You can use the pen tool (Shortcut is 'G') to modify the motion path in the same way that you'd modify a mask: pulling out bezier handles or adding new vertices/keyframes. You'll want your motion path to more closely resemble a circle rather than a line.

Alternatively, if you want a perfect orbit the most straightforward method would be to parent your camera to a 3D null layer at the center of the orbit and animate the rotation of the null.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Andrew HuntRe: After Effects correct way to use camera?
by on May 6, 2015 at 9:13:22 pm

Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions and report back. One quick question, I am not an expert in AE, but I use element 3D and various other videocopilot products. I have just found a model online which is in blender, 3ds and max format and I am trying to import it. I downloaded blender and exported the OBJ and all of the textures as .jpg. However when I load it into element, the model is white and I can't see any way to auto load all of the textures. I googled it and it seems I would have to texture each material with specular, reflection etc. Unfortunately the texture files I have do not say what they are so I would be unable to do it. I am considering learning how to use a 3D program to render then composite into after effects.

Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved