ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Transparent mask?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared GardnerTransparent mask?
by on May 4, 2015 at 12:39:43 pm

When you have a composition, you can drag things to any corner and it'll disappear out of the screen. I'm trying to get something to disappear out of the screen, but in the MIDDLE of the screen. Like there's a border there but you can't see it. I've already animated everything so my basic option is to re-animate and drag things out of the screen on the comp, but that's a little bit too much work.

I need something like a shape layer that has a transparency thing going on so that anything that that shape is on top of won't show. That way I can place that little transparent shape anywhere on the screen and have everything pop out from underneath it.

How can I go about doing this?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Transparent mask?
by on May 4, 2015 at 2:30:01 pm

Use a solid layer on top of that layer, that's only half the width of the frame as a Track Matte.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jared GardnerRe: Transparent mask?
by on May 4, 2015 at 4:00:48 pm

I don't know what a track matte is, but I guess it's time to find out.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Transparent mask?
by on May 4, 2015 at 5:57:30 pm

From the Video Copilot Basic Training, watch video 4. And it sounds like you are just starting out, so you might want to check out all the videos.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved