ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

gamma shift with Quicktime player

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brenden Younangamma shift with Quicktime player
by on May 4, 2015 at 8:06:23 am

Hello,

I've had this problem for quite awhile now. I have a animated logo (1920X1080) Animation. When I bring it in After Effects to edit etc and export using either ProRess or H264 and run it back using quciktime, colours look washed out, even If I convert the original AE file using handbrake or MPEGstreamclip. My workflow is a bit of a mess and need a solution. Here are the examples below:

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: gamma shift with Quicktime player
by on May 4, 2015 at 9:09:40 am

Do not use Quicktime player for anything color critical, ever.

Return to posts index

Brenden YounanRe: gamma shift with Quicktime player
by on May 4, 2015 at 11:04:05 am
Last Edited By Brenden Younan on May 4, 2015 at 11:04:54 am

What do you suggest I use? VLC is not any better.

How do I get the same colour as the original?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: gamma shift with Quicktime player
by on May 4, 2015 at 11:28:48 am

Are you on a Windows machine?

Return to posts index

by on May 4, 2015 at 11:37:32 am

Mac only.

Another question, when the video looks washed out when viewed using QT, it also looks washed out if edited on FCP or uploaded to Youtube. I thought only QT causes the issue?

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2015 at 12:02:48 am

Bump. Any help?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: gamma shift with Quicktime player
by on May 5, 2015 at 3:52:36 am

the problem is, the color management doesn't get saved. The export creates a gamma change as well because 16-235 and 0-255 map the black/white points differently which pulls the gamma around. Thankfully AE has a built in corrector.

AE's utility color profile converter can "burn" in the required color management. For web, its usually sRGB .1966 or Rec. 709. But here's the catch, both colors have 16-235 and 0-255 version. Try both and see which works best for you. It all depends on your workflow environment, so you'll need to experiment because certain codecs secretly use a certain
color. I believe prores is 16 for example.

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2015 at 4:11:09 am
Last Edited By Brenden Younan on May 5, 2015 at 4:11:41 am

Which colour settings is best for DVD also? and what codec should I be using out of AE?

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2015 at 4:34:04 am

Here's the kicker, 99% of people get this wrong, even broadcast "professionals" Hang on to your seat...

SD is .601, HD is.709.

Don't worry, it gets even more confusing...

FCP will auto convert anything to the correct color depending on the size of the workflow. For example, any SD clip in a Hd timeline, will be converted from .601 to .709
and visa versa.

If you do everything right, theoretically it doesn't matter what codec you use, as long as you take into consideration what's happening in the pipeline and generation loss.

Return to posts index

by on May 5, 2015 at 5:44:21 am

Thanks for the reply and help guys.

Could you give me step by step instructions of how I should go about my workflow.

The HD logo is imported into After Effects and down-converted to SD widescreen 720X576. Then imported into FCPX and then to DVD. The final result = Horrible

I must be doing something wrong. Nothing is look sharp.

Here is what I mean:

My render from After Effects to FCPX 720X576

The original looks sharper while mine looks washed out. To much chances during this processes.

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2015 at 1:08:18 am

Bump? Any Idea whats going on?

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2015 at 1:46:51 am

Anytime you rescale a video object, it gets softer. I recommend getting the original logo so that it can be
re-rendered to the final needed size by vector than by post bicubic or bilinear resizing.

Also, keep all footage at least 4:4:4 10bit export until final delivery so that you don't get generation loss. And export to DVD using a dedicated program like encore at 9mbps. Although, I'm still not sure why anyone would want a delivery of a dvd. They aren't high enough quality for broadcast due to the mpeg2 4:2:0 encode loss.

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2015 at 4:14:38 am

[Chris Wright] "I recommend getting the original logo so that it can be
re-rendered to the final needed size by vector than by post bicubic or bilinear resizing.

Also, keep all footage at least 4:4:4 10bit export until final delivery so that you don't get generation loss"

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I'm no professional at this, so I don't quite understand what you mean. I bring the HD logo into AE, should I down-scale from there or bring it into Adobe media encoder first to re-scale to 720X576 (also what codec should I be using for alpha) before I start editing into FCPX? Is encoder better the FCPX DVD output?

I just want a more professional finish with my graphics (no washed out or blurry look), and I don't know the ticks to do that yet.

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2015 at 12:52:31 pm
Last Edited By Brenden Younan on May 6, 2015 at 12:53:07 pm

I looks perfect, just the way I want it in the AE composition. But once render, it looks terrible.

How do the pros do it!

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2015 at 10:29:08 pm

Bump. Sorry, I just need some help.

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2015 at 6:57:23 am

I need this graphic for the web and DVD. How do I prevent washed out colours and blurry graphics like the examples shown above?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]