ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Move shape along arced path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James DunneMove shape along arced path
by on May 2, 2015 at 7:41:28 pm

im simply trying to animate a circular shape along an arced path, from the left side of the screen over to the right and I cant for the life of me figure it out, What must I do?

Return to posts index

John DiDomenicoRe: Move shape along arced path
by on May 4, 2015 at 3:48:57 am

To move a circle along a path create a circle shape layer. Then with the shape layer selected grab the pen
tool and draw the path you want the circle to move along. Now open the shape layer, select shape 1,
select path 1 and click on path then cut it in the edit menu. Now open the ellipse you created and select transform, click on position and paste. Select the anchor point of the ellipse while at the first keyframe that was created when you made the path and move it to where you want the start point to be.
Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Move shape along arced path
by on May 4, 2015 at 4:06:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 4, 2015 at 5:43:25 pm

Create your initial Position keyframe. Go down the timeline and move the layer to the ending position; it automatically creates a keyframe. Go someplace in between the first & last keyframes and move the layer to set the middle keyframe.

Now highlight all the keyframes & right-click to open the contextual menu. Go to Keyframe Interpolation. Set SPATIAL -- not Temporal -- interpolation to Bezier.

Now go to each individual keyframe and mess with the position keyframes' Bezier handles to shape your arc.

Actually, you don't even need that middle keyframe in many instances. Just adjust the Bezier handles for first and last keyframes and you're good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved