ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

too complex shapes causing newton 2 to crash after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew duttontoo complex shapes causing newton 2 to crash after effects?
by on May 1, 2015 at 11:06:07 pm

Hello ive been playing around with newton 2 and wanted to create an animated logo using newton but ive had problems with newton crashing.

My story is after importing an Ai file (my logo) into after effects and converting it into a shape layer. the logo text is a fairly complex shape not particularly basic in shape maybe 20 vertices in the most complex letter. what would be the best solution to animating comlex shapes with newton? is it a case of masking out a simple solid or shape layer and then parenting my complex layer to the the basic shape. then animate the basic shape in newton. i figured newton would be able to handle a slightly complex shape layer though but ive only just started using it so my knowledge on newton isnt great.

on they talk about using convex hall but i couldnt find this option in newton

"This parameter allows you to approximate the geometry of a complex body, using the convex hull of the shape vertices. In some situations, when working with text for instance, this option can highly increase performances while producing realistic simulation."

ive also read about using proxys to replace the complex shape is this simply masking out a solid or is there a better proper way to do it?

thank a lot andy

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: too complex shapes causing newton 2 to crash after effects?
by on May 2, 2015 at 2:49:23 pm

I've never had much luck bringing shape layers into Newton unless it's a simple square. In your case, instead of troubleshooting, I'd just work around like you were thinking. Create your logo out of masked solids. There's a good RD script for this to convert from shapes to masks, or -if the script doesn't work- you can just copy and paste shape paths to masks on solids (mask must be present to copy from shape to mask), or even copy them from Illustrator straight onto a solid in AE (no previous mask necessary with this method). Assuming your AI file is the same dimension as the AE comp, it should all line up perfectly. Animate the masked solids, then parent your logo to the solids.

Jason Jantzen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved