ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Source (True) Text size - After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiago Cav
Source (True) Text size - After Effects
on Apr 29, 2015 at 1:31:13 pm
Last Edited By Tiago Cav on Apr 29, 2015 at 8:42:00 pm

About the size of "text" in After Effects. Size apparent and true size.
Do you know any way to change the text size in the "source" property that is true size in px? Instead of "character box" that shows a surface size.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Source (True) Text size - After Effects
on Apr 29, 2015 at 4:18:09 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 29, 2015 at 4:47:58 pm

I see you have the text parented to that red rectangle. Why not just scale the red rectangle, and to heck with fooling around by typing in the rectangle size?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tiago Cav
on Apr 29, 2015 at 8:41:25 pm
Last Edited By Tiago Cav on Apr 29, 2015 at 8:42:44 pm

Forget the rectangle, it only served to make a comparison, that the text size in "px" shown in the "Character box" does not correspond to the real text size, shown by the rectangle shape that follows the true size of the text.
See the image that is the nominal size of the text is "70 px" and the "shape comparator" shows that the text size in height is "52.7 px". I want a way to edit this precise value, not the nominal size, surface, text on "Character box", and yes, the actual size, true, the "the source text", which appears in this comparison. It can be through an expression or another way.

Gave to see (by comparison made with shape with the expression "sourceRectAtTime ()" in size property) that this value can be acquired from some source, and edited from somewhere.But I want to know where and how?

See new image, corrected.
https://f1.creativecow.net/8780/source-true-text-size-image-comparison?uplo...

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 30, 2015 at 1:01:40 pm

[Tiago Cav] "Forget the rectangle, it only served to make a comparison, that the text size in "px" shown in the "Character box" does not correspond to the real text size, shown by the rectangle shape that follows the true size of the text."

Please see my post below, this number is not meant to correspond to the size of your text.

[Tiago Cav] "See the image that is the nominal size of the text is "70 px" and the "shape comparator" shows that the text size in height is "52.7 px". I want a way to edit this precise value, not the nominal size, surface, text on "Character box", and yes, the actual size, true, the "the source text", which appears in this comparison. It can be through an expression or another way."

In this specific case, assuming all capital letters are equal height and you will never exceed a single line, you can use the value from sourceRectAtTime() to drive an expression in scale:

s = 70/sourceRectAtTime().height * 100;
[s,s]

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tiago Cav
on May 1, 2015 at 1:35:42 am

Amazing! You are very intelligent! Thanks!
It works perfectly. After Effects is infinity...

Return to posts index

Tiago Cav
on May 19, 2015 at 2:27:43 pm
Last Edited By Tiago Cav on May 19, 2015 at 2:32:17 pm

s = 70/sourceRectAtTime().height * 100;
[s,s]

Another way to write this expression, without avoiding that text size in character box be changed without suffering changes?

Because text scale always fits in percentage, so that the value is set to 70, when the character box is changed.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 19, 2015 at 6:56:59 pm

[Tiago Cav] "Another way to write this expression, without avoiding that text size in character box be changed without suffering changes?"

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you're asking. What is it you want to be able to do?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 29, 2015 at 6:37:05 pm

This gets a little geeky, but the character size measures an em [link]. This is usually the distance from the highest ascender down the lowest descender; it's somewhat arbitrary and not strictly related to the cap height or x-height.

Given how consistent your typeface is, you could measure the height and figure out the ratio needed to relate the nominal size of the type with the cap height.

New in Ae CC 2014 13.2, you can also directly access the height of a text layer like this:

thisComp.layer("My text layer").sourceRectAtTime().height

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Tiago Cav
on May 19, 2015 at 7:21:18 pm
Last Edited By Tiago Cav on May 19, 2015 at 7:23:18 pm

Ok, I managed to solve otherwise. I just can not change source, but okay, I do not need because I want to give possilidade just change the text size, on Character Box as well. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]