ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Audio not playing on import from premiere.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Moog GravettAudio not playing on import from premiere.
by on Apr 29, 2015 at 11:52:51 am

Hi folks,

I have an issue where I'm copying some video clips from Premiere (latest CC on mac) but when I paste them in to my AE timeline, the audio does not play nor can I see any waveforms on the clips.

It seems to be only these clips, others work fine, the spec is ...

Apple ProRes 422 HQ, 1,920 x 1,080
Linear PCM, 24 bit little-endian signed integer, 4 channels, 48000 Hz

As the clips play in premiere, I can't imagine it's a codec thing.
I wondered if it was something to do with my clips being 59.94fps and my comp 29.97fps, but I tried in a 59.94 comp and still the same issue occurs.

I could really do with some help, I can't find anything on the web relating to this.

Also, while I'm here, does anyone know a way to connect a video and audio clip other than pre-comping them? (as that could be a huge pain when my clients want to make changes).

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Audio not playing on import from premiere.
by on Apr 30, 2015 at 2:50:07 pm

Hey Moog, I don't know your level of comfort with adobe products, so I may be saying things you've already tried.

1) Check that if you are importing via dynamic link that the audio and video are linked together. I know I'll occasionally unlink them for various reasons, just remember to put them back.
2) Instead of opening a dynamic link, have you tried just selecting, copying, and then pasting into after effects? It's not the best way, but it works. If that is the way you have been doing it, have you tried a dynamic link or straight up import of the same raw footage into after effects?
3) in AE have you twirled down enough on your video clip to see the waveform? It isn't like Premiere where you see it right out of the gate, you have to open several layers before it is there.
4) how are you checking sound? If you are just hitting space bar for a quick preview, it likely won't play any sound at all. Try hitting "0" on the number pad for a RAM preview, or hitting the decimal button on the number pad for an audio preview.
5) Make sure that audio is enabled in your RAM preview panel.
6) Clean your disk cache to see if that was causing issues.

Hope that helps.

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Moog GravettRe: Audio not playing on import from premiere.
by on Apr 30, 2015 at 3:45:40 pm

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your reply.
I have actually tried all the things you suggest. I'm using the cmd+c in Ppro cmd+v in AE technique. I've also imported the same clips via the standard import too but the audio just isn't there. (and yes, no waveform on twirl down). other audio previews on other types of clips will play just fine, it's just these particular ones which leads me to believe it's possibly a codec thing, but then that's weird as they work fine in Ppro.

I appreciate the effort anyway :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved