ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating a moving waves of paper sheets

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Green
Animating a moving waves of paper sheets
on Apr 29, 2015 at 10:30:22 am

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if you can help.

I'm about to start storyboarding an idea for an animation that is based on part of this company's promo material and this 'Wave of papers' that they use.

I'm wondering what people think might be the best solution for animating such a wave of paper sheets ie. making the wave grow, with the papers moving, and then the wave splashes down at the end, or the papers disappear into a point at the tip of the wave (I haven't decided yet).

Would you say that Trapcode Particular is the best option? By making a looping sprite of an individual sheet of paper and moving an emitter in the shape of a wave I could stop the particles in the air and keep the sprites moving couldn't I, as well as wiggling the emitter to give it a bit of movement?

Or would you say that this is a job for C4D?

I'd really value your opinions.
Thanks in advance.

Splurj Creative, Video Production, Motion Graphics & Animation in Manchester UK.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Animating a moving waves of paper sheets
on Apr 29, 2015 at 6:51:10 pm

I can see FreeForm Pro and ShapeShifterAE (latest version) working great for this. You can have your initial piece of paper animated with the 3d distortion / deformation tools and then use Generator to create the trail of papers following it. The neat thing with the latest versions is that you get delays in animation for the instances generated and you can add more randomness by using the Generator controls as well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Apr 29, 2015 at 7:02:46 pm

To add to Tudor's excellent suggestions, you can also use the "World Space Deformation" available in FreeForm Pro to add even more variance.

So think that you can:
1) Deform the AE layer (solid, imported anim or still, pre-comp etc.) with FreeForm Pro in comp manipulation... it basically turns AE layers into rubber like sheets.
2) Use the built-in Generator to duplicate this as many times as you like and offset, rotate scale the duplicates.
3) Cast shadows on all duplicates.
4) Use the delay and randomize features in Generator to add temporal variance
5) Use the "World Space Deformations"to add spatial variance.

Should do quite nicely for this challenge.

HTH.

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

Scott Green
on Apr 30, 2015 at 9:10:20 am

I've never tried FreeForm Pro before, I'm going to download the demo right now and see how I get on, thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep you posted, thanks guys.

Splurj Creative, Video Production, Motion Graphics & Animation in Manchester UK.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]