ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Photoshop alpha in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff HinklePhotoshop alpha in AE?
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 2:58:36 pm

Am I crazy? Didn't this used to work? If I import a layered PSD with alpha into AE as a footage file, didn't AE always display the alpha channel? It recognizes there's an alpha and lists it in the Project Window, but no transparency is displayed. Say for example (I would never build this, this is only for illustrative purposes) I had a 2-layer PSD: Layer 1 is full-screen black, Layer 2 is a black square on transparent. Make an alpha channel based on Layer 2, then save as a PSD will alpha channels and layers. Import that into AE as footage and it shows all black with pure white alpha.

I can easily work around the issue, but I just want to see if I'm nuts. Didn't it always work that bringing in a file like that would just show the black square revealed by the alpha, not an all-black screen? Or have I been deluded the last few years? Running CC2014 ( on OSX 10.9.5.

It is easier to destroy than to create.
More fun, too.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Photoshop alpha in AE?
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 10:39:59 pm

Hey Jeff, i can't get a layered psd to work with an alpha in any version as far back as cs4, but a layered tif file with alpha will work.

it seems like it should work with a psd... you might file a bug report:

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved