ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trapcode Particular - sand heap animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim HildebrandtTrapcode Particular - sand heap animation
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 12:46:14 pm
Last Edited By Tim Hildebrandt on Apr 23, 2015 at 12:48:05 pm

Hello guys,

I am relatively new to Trapcode at all. For a new own project I need to animate some kind of a hourglass in 2D space.

So I thought about using Trapcode Particular for creating the sand streaming down to the bottom. All that is fine, but now I want to get a realistic shaped sand heap/pile bulding up as you would see it in real. I made this, but it doesn't look good at all (example #1).

Then I came up with the idea to use two paricular layers and give them two different floors with different rotations and let the particles slide down thoses layers (example #2). But this doesn't look realistic either.

How would you get this problem solved? Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Trapcode Particular - sand heap animation
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 4:14:35 pm

If the shape of the pile changed a bit as it grew, example 1 wouldn't look too bad. It also grows a little too fast.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tim HildebrandtRe: Trapcode Particular - sand heap animation
by on Apr 25, 2015 at 4:15:06 pm

I played around a little bit and followed your instruction to change the path over time. This actually helped and after I tried some effects on the stroke (what didn't work very well) I will now keyframe the shape over time by manual. See my example #3 here (probably gowing too fast again). For the real project I'll get some good results doing it this way, I guess. Thank you for that hint.

But now another problem came across. As the pile is chillin' there I now want it do go away in the same way it came up. In fact a reverse, but I don't want it to be reversed. I want the pile resolve to a sand beam again and flowing up the hourglass again.

The dissolve effect I got with the pile as 3D layer and used it as the layer in the Emitter Type Option. With the air physics I can now achieve that the sand is going up as the pile disappears, but how do I get the particles to form a beam out of the shape? Do you get what I mean? I can upload an example picture if not.

Thank you for help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved