ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Waveform Color Filling

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan LewallenWaveform Color Filling
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 12:36:05 am

Hello, I am working on an audio template. I am trying to make a waveform similar to the one you can see in Soundcloud. I've managed to program an expression to generate the waveform. But I am having an issue with filling up the waveform with a color with respect to time. For example, do you see on soundcloud how the waveform fills up orange as the song progresses? This is the concept I am trying to work on. Here is what I have so far:

This is a continuation of a project that a user on here by the name of Kevin Camp (if you're still active on this forum) helped someone out about a year ago. Here is a link to the original post with the process I used:

I want the blue bar to move to the right over time, but I only want the white parts of the waveform to turn blue as it progresses (the rest of the blue solid hidden). How would I go about doing this? My knowledge in After Effects is limited so any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Waveform Color Filling
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 6:37:40 am

Use the Waveform you generate as a Track Matte for the blue solid, combined with an animated mask that reveals the color as the music progresses.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jordan LewallenRe: Waveform Color Filling
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 1:34:12 pm
Last Edited By Jordan Lewallen on Apr 23, 2015 at 1:55:48 pm

That's what I was thinking, but I was using this expression code featured here:
I have to duplicate each solid (to generate the waveform seen in the picture) about 100 times.
Is there a way to disable the expression code but keep its parameters so that I could duplicate it and add it as a layer above it? Does that make sense?

Basically, I don't have just one solid waveform, I have a whole bunch of duplicates to generate the whole waveform therefore I cannot do a track matte :/

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Waveform Color Filling
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 2:48:17 pm

You can do a track matte if you precomp all of the layers together and use the resulting composition as the track matte.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved