ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion vector unavailable on image sequences but present in single frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David CabestanyMotion vector unavailable on image sequences but present in single frames
by on Apr 22, 2015 at 11:20:04 pm

I've been rendering openEXR sequences out of Cinema 4D and extracting the motion vector channel using ExtractoR. All was good up until a few minutes ago, now I can't extract the channel when I import the sequence but if I import any single frame the motion vector data is there.

I don't think this is related to the plug in but rather to the software as the information gets displayed in the project panel before I even drop the footage in any composition.

I restarted, repaired permissions and even tried the rendered files in a different machine, nothing worked, but as I said, I did this exact same thing in the morning and worked out perfectly.

Can anyone help?
D.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Motion vector unavailable on image sequences but present in single frames
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 12:33:35 am

Perhaps the motion vectors are backward: not present in frame 0, but present in every frame thereafter and indicating motion into the frame, not motion out of it? If you import the sequence starting at frame 1, does it make a difference?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Motion vector unavailable on image sequences but present in single frames
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 3:03:13 pm

Hey Walter,

I just tried importing the sequence from frame 0 (I was importing it backwards before, just because that was the way it was showing on my finder) and no, it still imported without the motion vector channel, also the first frame already has movement, it's not a blank frame.

D.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Motion vector unavailable on image sequences but present in single frames
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 10:54:53 pm

[David Cabestany] "I just tried importing the sequence from frame 0 (I was importing it backwards before, just because that was the way it was showing on my finder) and no, it still imported without the motion vector channel, also the first frame already has movement, it's not a blank frame."

I'm suggesting it's possible there are no motion vectors on frame 0, with the first motion vectors associated with frame 1 showing the motion from 0 to 1.

I'm suggesting importing the sequence starting at frame 1, WITHOUT frame 0 in there, and seeing if that makes the vectors accessible.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Motion vector unavailable on image sequences but present in single frames
by on Apr 24, 2015 at 12:55:23 am

Awesome, you just gave me an idea and it worked.

The problem wasn't exactly what you described, but when you mentioned the first frame it occurred to me that perhaps AE really needs the true frame 0 in order to read motion vectors, I was rendering from frame 12 (in C4D) onward as I didn't need the first frames.

I went back to Cinema and rendered from frame 0 and this time al the channels appeared correctly, all I need to do now is trim the excess frames in AE and everything is good as usual.

Thanks a lot for your help Walter.
D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]