ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Audio Sync with AE / Premiere Dynamic Link?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Taylor
Audio Sync with AE / Premiere Dynamic Link?
on Apr 21, 2015 at 9:45:06 pm

I'm trying to streamline my animation / motion graphics workflow a bit and could use some suggestions.

I'm starting with audio in Premiere. The timing of various audio clips has been arranged the way I want (usually a voiceover made of a few clips). Then I use Dynamic Link to put a scene into After Effects and add animation. This audio is only used as a guide, since Premiere / Media Encoder will do the actual rendering later.

Sometimes as I'm working on animation, I find it would be useful to change the timing of the audio clips slightly, and that's where the workflow gets messy. That's perfectly easy to do within AE. However, these changes are not reflected in Premiere. Here are the options I am aware of:

1) Render the scene in AE and put it back into Premiere as footage. This bring the audio in, which can either be used as-is or as a guide to re-syncing the original audio. I guess that works, but it's an extra step I'd rather not deal with since I'll have to re-export from Premiere anyway.

2) Just deal with it and manually re-sync the audio clips in premiere. This wouldn't be so bad except that I can't see the waveform so I have to do it blind (a way to show the waveform in the Dynamically-Linked composition would be a great solution if it exists).

Neither of these are really optimal. Does anyone know of an easier way to reflect changes made to the audio in AE back into Premiere? Ideally I wish I could just see the waveform from the dynamically linked scene without having to render it and re-insert it.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Audio Sync with AE / Premiere Dynamic Link?
on Apr 21, 2015 at 9:56:03 pm

I say it depends on the nature of the audio. Sound effecs are easy to move around in PP, so don't worry about them.

However, I would strive mightily to get announcer audio paced correctly and consider it an Audio Lock -- no more messing with it.

Same goes for edited music -- get it right before you bring it into AE.

And since they're so tiny, just export the audio and import into AE; no need for dynamic link in my mind.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brent Taylor
on Apr 21, 2015 at 10:20:59 pm

Yeah, I try to get the audio as close as possible. But sometimes when I'm working on animation I just realize that something needs to take longer visually than I anticipated.

The idea of just outputting the audio is a great idea, though. That's not so bad. Thanks!

Still interested if anyone else has any other ideas, too, though. I'm surprised there is no option to include audio with dynamic link. Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 21, 2015 at 10:39:04 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 21, 2015 at 10:45:36 pm

Since I'm an AE/FCP or AE/Avid guy, I can only speculate that dynamic link will work on PP audio-only. I just think it's unnecessary to use it that way. It's too darned easy just to export audio and import it into AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kaileen Fitzpatrick
on Jul 15, 2015 at 2:53:25 pm

was having similar troubles with AE/Pr dynamic link. I "replaced with after effects comp" in Pr, made A/V changes and then the audio wasn't there in Premiere......

i just re-imported the comp in premiere from the proj tab. worked.

sometimes the dynamic link get's caught, i think.

don't kno wif this help with your situation, but i thought i would offer it for others perhaps. simple fix.

cheers,
Kaileen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]