ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Reverse Motion Tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Smith-NaillReverse Motion Tracking
by on Apr 19, 2015 at 5:00:46 pm

So I’m working on this project where someone is sitting in front of a window with the window keyed out. The person stands up, and the camera tilts up. So the background needs to move otherwise it doesn’t look right. The rub is that the foreground and background need to move in opposite directions. If you stand at a window with your eyes level with a point on the window, and you tilt your head up, you’ll see the window appears to move down on the y axis, and the background appears to move up. What I really want is a parallax movement without the hassle of setting up a 3d camera space.

I’ve tracked the motion of the tilt to a computer in the front of the fame. The tracking works great. When I apply the tracker to the target track (background) the background moves down on the y axis just like the tracker. This is what it’s supposed to do. What I want to do is when the tracker moves down, the target moves up. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Reverse Motion Tracking
by on Apr 21, 2015 at 2:57:51 pm

You answered yourself, however you need the "hassle"- a 3d camera setup will allow for a background plate to be set up back in 3d space and thus allow you to tweak the parallax. So you need a 3d camera Track. No 2d track+ animation combination will be able to give you a realistic final look as a 3d camera setup.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved