ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Can't get Reshape to work...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher YoungCan't get Reshape to work...
by on Apr 18, 2015 at 2:25:34 pm

See here:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Are my masks paths too complex with 49 points each? Are the shapes too different? Do I need still more correspondence points? Is the resolution still too high? I just don't know!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Can't get Reshape to work...
by on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:49:30 am

It's been awhile since I've used reshape but as I recall a general rule of thumb is to use as few correspondence points as possible to get the deformation looking right. I'd usually start with 2 or 3 and add more as necessary regardless of the assumed complexity of the masks.

Also, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be using Mask 2 as a boundary mask. I think that'll wreak havoc if a correspondence point attempts to accommodate across the boundary (which is happening with the very mixed convex/concave shape of Mask 2).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Christopher YoungRe: Can't get Reshape to work...
by on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:08:35 am

I tried it with and without a boundary mask, didn't work. Started with less correspondence points, and it was worse. Added a bunch more, was less bad but still pretty bad, and while not making the problem worse I don't think adding yet more could've fixed it. Also, those correspondence points often didn't appear for some reason when I tried to add them, and the clickable area for moving them around was frustratingly small. So after much frustration I gave up on Reshape and went with Bezier Warps instead. I didn't get the result I wanted, but it'll have to do, what with the deadline.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Can't get Reshape to work...
by on Apr 20, 2015 at 5:20:09 am

Your masks were probably over complicated as well. There's really no need to bring the mask inside the folds of the shirt/clothing. Make the mask more convex overall and you'll probably get better results. It also looks like you may be using RotoBezier masks which isn't necessarily a problem, but I find much harder to work with generally.

I downloaded your problem image with the multitude of correspondence points and drew my own simplified masks with 5 correspondence points and had decent results in 2 minutes.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved