ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Time Remapping an Entire Composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Call
Time Remapping an Entire Composition
on Apr 16, 2015 at 9:18:42 pm

I'm using After Effects CS5, but very new to the program. I'm really hoping someone here can help me.

I have a template that I purchased of a photo slideshow falling from the sky. The final composition has a length of 1:57. I would like to time remap this composition to about 48 seconds.

Is there a way to time remap an entire composition at once? That is, I want to compress the time to 48 seconds, but have all layers, cameras and points of interest to remain aligned with each other. (i.e., I just want the whole sequence to move faster.)

I've looked around and can't find anything about how to do this. Either that, or I just don't know the right terminology to do an effective search.

Thanks to anyone willing to assist!

Return to posts index

chris brett
Re: Time Remapping an Entire Composition
on Apr 16, 2015 at 10:24:59 pm

Hi -

-- never done this myself but would expect it to work if the whole project was precomped then apply time remapping to the precomp -- cant see why not....

------------------------------------ all the best ---- chris

Return to posts index

Jeff Call
on Apr 17, 2015 at 6:55:08 am

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the suggestion. However, I'm not sure this will work for my needs. The original template is customizable, allowing me to add photos or video to precomp'ed layers nested in the final composition. If I nest this into another composition and remap the time, the video will take on the attributes of the time remapping (i.e., they will run faster). I'm trying to figure out how to remap the the final composition, then adding the photos and videos, post remap. Not even sure it can be done, but I'm being hopeful.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 17, 2015 at 3:37:25 am

I'm glad you have a "how to" guide to fix your problem. However, it doesn't solve the fundamental problem. How do you go from 1:57 to :48 without BIG changes?
There is something amiss in your communications, I fear.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Call
on Apr 17, 2015 at 7:03:40 am

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by a "how to" guide, unless you're referring to this forum and site, which I think is one of the best resources out there for professionals and hobbyists (of which I am the latter).

I replied to Chris above with a little bit more explanation of what is in the template and what I am trying to do. As I said in that reply, I'm not sure it can even be done without seriously compromising the project.

My only other option is adding just photos, rendering out the composition, then time remapping in Premiere. I was just hoping my theory of remapping the composition in AE, then adding pics/video would work.

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Apr 17, 2015 at 9:00:52 am

Hi Jeff ---

---- didnt read the original post throughly enough..... apologies ......

---- 2 things spring to mind...

1 ) ---- reverse time map the video footage --- ie if you are speeding up to 200% ( say) then remap the footage to 50%

2 ) ----- depending on how the video is built into the animation ...... you might be able to sit the video on top ......... i e precomp the job - remap - add video on another layer .......

------ if you already have precomps inside comps this might get a bit complicated but I reckon its still possible to do this......

I would try reverse time mapping the footage first.

All the best ---------------------- chris ---

Return to posts index

Jeff Call
on Apr 22, 2015 at 6:29:28 am

First off, I appreciate all the advice. It is very much appreciated.

Chris, your suggestion got me thinking and I'm pretty sure I got it figured out.

It turns out I needed the length to be 33 seconds, not 48 as I had previously mentioned. So, what I did was limit my video clips to 10 seconds then remapped them to 325%. I then nested that composition into a new composition with a 33 second length. I finally remapped the nested composition down to match time (33 secs.). When I rendered it out, it ran at the time and speed I needed and the videos appeared to run at normal speed. Mission accomplished!

Again, thank you for your suggestions. You have both been very helpful.

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Apr 22, 2015 at 8:22:40 am

Hi Jeff --- thanks for feedback

---- pleased to hear it all worked out fine ---

----------------------------- all the best ------- chris ---

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 18, 2015 at 11:30:07 pm

With such a drastic time adjustment I honestly think you'd be better off just biting the bullet, diving into the comp and tightening things up. You'll have better control and you'll eliminate all those unexpected surprises you'd get by time remapping.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]