ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trying to make a mask but it is a 'shape mask' and doesn't do anything?!?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin CaminTrying to make a mask but it is a 'shape mask' and doesn't do anything?!?
by on Apr 15, 2015 at 3:36:00 am

I'm not a beginner. I'm a motion designer for a living so this issue is bugging me...

I'm trying to make a routine mask on this Photoshop assets with the pen tool, but it creates a mask that has 'Shape' set for it's Path type. When I make the mask it doesn't do anything and I'm missing the normal 'add' or 'subtract' parametric controls. If I use a shape tool it will make a normal mask. Weird.

Someone please illuminate my situation. Thank you!

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

adirai majiRe: Trying to make a mask but it is a 'shape mask' and doesn't do anything?!?
by on Apr 15, 2015 at 5:02:08 am

This will help you :) Have a nice day....

~MAJI~

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Trying to make a mask but it is a 'shape mask' and doesn't do anything?!?
by on Apr 15, 2015 at 3:46:12 pm

Thanks for your reply but I don't get it.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Trying to make a mask but it is a 'shape mask' and doesn't do anything?!?
by on Apr 15, 2015 at 5:10:43 pm

double-click on the layer you want to mask. It opens in its own layer window. Mask away.

A shape is a totally different kind of layer in AE. AE assumes you want to make one if you use one of the traditional maksing tools, but don't have a layer highlighted at the very least. I took you one step further, opening the layer window so there can't be any doubt about what you're doing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Trying to make a mask but it is a 'shape mask' and doesn't do anything?!?
by on Apr 15, 2015 at 9:04:29 pm

Is it a closed path? If not, that's probably why the Add, Subtract options are missing.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]