ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Alternating Playback of Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Herrington
Alternating Playback of Layers
on Apr 14, 2015 at 8:00:16 pm

Hi all, I have three stock footage clips and I'm trying to alternative playback between them- ie layer A plays for 2s then layer B plays for 2s then layer C ..while one layer is playing the other two are 'paused' so that they pick up right where they left off. Does anyone know what the best way to do this is? Is manually splitting them all and sequencing them the only way or is there some other way?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Alternating Playback of Layers
on Apr 14, 2015 at 8:10:16 pm

You can use Time Remapping to do this.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lance Herrington
on Apr 14, 2015 at 8:21:38 pm

I've been researching this but can't seem to find any tutorials where it is being used to do what I need it to do..it seems like it will still be a very manual process. Do you know of a good tutorial that is related to what I'm trying to do?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 14, 2015 at 9:52:40 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 15, 2015 at 5:06:31 pm

Nope. Use the tutorials you've seen to wrap your head around the way Time Remapping works. Be careful to maintain the correct relative distance between Time Remapping keyframes to preserve the original motion, be careful and you should be okay. Take your time.

Don't forget you can copy-paste keyframes. Make a keyframe at the point where you want the action to freeze, copy it and paste it further down the timeline... and don';t forget to take the relative distance between the newly-pasted keyframe and the final keyframe into account.

You're right... there's nothing automatic about this in the least. You'll be doing a lot of figuring, and a few mistakes will be made. It's part of the learning process.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]