ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Improved Text Write-On Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond MillerImproved Text Write-On Effects?
by on Apr 14, 2015 at 7:33:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question about Text write on effect in Ae. Typically I've seen the use of "Stroke" or the "Write-On" effect to reveal text like this but I've had some issues. Some of the fonts/typefaces do not work well with those effects and the write-on reveal comes out sloppy. Is there a cleaner, sleek way to reveal text in the script, calligraphy font styles? I was contemplating something with masks.
any help or suggestions, or even tutorials, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Improved Text Write-On Effects?
by on Apr 14, 2015 at 8:11:50 pm

For calligraphy, it's probably best to do presicely what you thought: animate masks. It's certainly not an automatic thing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Raymond MillerRe: Improved Text Write-On Effects?
by on Apr 14, 2015 at 8:51:43 pm

Do you have any suggestions for how to approach, creating the masks? Is doing it by hand with the Pen-tool best or is creating the masks from text option better. Also what about using a shape layer to fill the mask? Or am I over complicating things?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Improved Text Write-On Effects?
by on Apr 14, 2015 at 9:59:10 pm

Sadly, you are NOT over-complicating things. Doing a good-looking write-on effect is a right royal pain, especially when dealing with cursive characters.

For example, the mask used to reveal the writing has to be perfect where the lines cross, or it will look lie the writing has grown little bumps at the crossing point.

Fortunately, once you have the masks right, it's not too tough to alter the speed of the animation.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Raymond MillerRe: Improved Text Write-On Effects?
by on Apr 15, 2015 at 12:24:51 am

Well not the best news I've heard, LOL. Thanks for letting me know. I'll show you the project I'm working on when it's done.

Thank you again for the advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]