ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How is this transition done?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Walker
How is this transition done?
on Apr 11, 2015 at 6:23:42 pm
Last Edited By Paul Walker on Apr 11, 2015 at 6:31:22 pm

Around the 0:24 mark. I'm trying to figure out how this is done, because I would like to recreate it, but I do not have very much knowledge about AE. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be nice. Step by step instructions would be wonderful though. I'm imagining that there are two different shots, one behind the house where he slowly looks up, and another where he is looking into the sky and then back down. I guess a mask is made around the edge of the roof to mask out everything above it and the sky from the second video is masked out, put in place, motion tracked, and once the sky fills the frame, its masking is removed. I think this may be somewhat in the right direction but as I said, I'm trying to recreate it and want to figure out exactly how to do it. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: How is this transition done?
on Apr 11, 2015 at 7:23:37 pm

[Paul Walker] " I'm imagining that there are two different shots, one behind the house where he slowly looks up, and another where he is looking into the sky and then back down."

That's pretty much it.

Return to posts index

Paul Walker
on Apr 11, 2015 at 7:53:44 pm

I might have the basic idea but I'm unfamiliar with how to actually do it. I was hoping that someone on these forums could help explain it. Unless perhaps there is nothing special going on here and I could learn masking/tracking techniques from a youtube video or something?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Apr 12, 2015 at 3:52:05 pm

The cabin part of the foreground footage is rotoscoped so the mountainy background is showing behind it. They probably planned this with similar camera movements so they would match better. After the tilt you can just turn the foreground off.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:12:58 pm

There's a really good series here on the COW by Andrew Devis called AE basics, broken down into a variety of topics.

But that shot is all about acccuracy when shooting. The sky in the tilt up is the SAME sky used in the tilt down to the ski slope. match the tilt up & tilt down speeds bwtseen the two shots, animate a mask and you've got it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]