ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

layers not changing or responding in composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Olmstedlayers not changing or responding in composition
by on Apr 8, 2015 at 10:06:13 pm

Hello all,

I'm running AE CC 2014 on an older Mac running OS 10.7.5 (can't wait for that new computer to show up!) and am encountering a frustrating problem for the first time.

Relatively simple comp... 7 layers, one of those is a 5 layer precomp. These are ID's for a news station, and I have duplicated each comp and precomp 10 times, changing video and text in each one, respectively. One layer in each precomp is a simple white shape that appears (no fade, just pops in), moves, then disappears.

After a few revisions from supervisors, the comps are rendering incorrectly. The white shape is not disappearing on any of the comps. It appears and stays to the end. The pop-in and pop-out is fine and displays correctly in each precomp, but not in the final comp. I tried removing and re-adding the precomps to no avail. I tried tweaking the precomp to force it to re-render in RAM (change drop shadow from 50% to 51%) which worked on one comp, not the rest.

What is going on here? Is this a RAM cache issue? I've never done an "empty disk cache" and not sure if I want to, but I will if necessary. Is this even a potential solution?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: layers not changing or responding in composition
by on Apr 8, 2015 at 10:55:01 pm

mmmmmm..... Do you know for a fact that AE CC 2014 is okay to run on that particular OS version? I don't, I'm on a Windows box.

Application & OS mismatches are the source much AE Weirdness.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin OlmstedRe: layers not changing or responding in composition
by on Apr 8, 2015 at 11:55:21 pm

Good point, but unfortunately for me right now, a moot one. New hardware is arriving within a month or so, but until then I need to rectify the problem using other means. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: layers not changing or responding in composition
by on Apr 9, 2015 at 2:55:04 pm

Here's a thought which might work. No guarantees:

Backsave the current project to AE CC 2012, and open it in AE CC 2012. There may be fewer OS - application conflicts, and you can get what should be a simple task DONE.

If you're on the cloud, you have access to AE CC 2012, and you can install it without having to uninstall CC 2014. You'll have both versions ready to run on your machine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]