ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Make turbulent noise stay in place

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Boelens
Make turbulent noise stay in place
on Apr 8, 2015 at 11:24:20 am

Hello,

There an issue I'm having with the turbulent noise effect in AE and I just can't figure it out... I hope you experts can point me into the right direction!

I have created a turbulent noise effect in such a way that it's serving as a transition between images. I'm using it on a black solid with screen mode so that there's like a white flash that temporarily fills the whole screen and disappears again. It took quite a while to configure it in such a way that this white flash covers the entire screen (since this noise is generated you never know what you get so you have to twist the controls to behave it the way you want)! There's an evolution expression added to the noise to make it move.

The problem: whenever I try to move my layer with noise applied to it, everything CHANGES! I need to shift some of the layers in time and I cannot to anything because the noise changes and all my fine tuning is lost! It will be even sufficient to just crop the timeline (I need the beginning to be shorter), but when I try that and say: trim to work area, everything still changes! AAAH!

It's very very frustrating, I need to figure a way to kinda lock this effect to that it stays the same when I move the layer or trim my composition, but how can I do this???

Thank you very much for your help and time!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Make turbulent noise stay in place
on Apr 8, 2015 at 3:16:43 pm

Precompose your layer with Turbulent Noise, making sure you choose to move all attributes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kate Boelens
on Apr 8, 2015 at 3:58:58 pm

Hi!

Thank you very much for your reply! :) However could you maybe explain what you mean by "move all attributes"? Maybe kayframes that may be associated with that layer? There are however no keyframes, the layer is simply a black solid with turbulent noise applied to it and an expression (time*300).

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 8, 2015 at 4:08:23 pm

When you precompose a layer, After Effects gives you options to either leave attributes in the main comp (including effects) or to move them into the precomp. In this case, since our intent is to get the effect into a precomp, you would want the attributes to be moved.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kate Boelens
on Apr 8, 2015 at 5:52:34 pm

Hi Michael,

Wow thank you SO MUCH that works!!! :) Why didn't I ever think of that, hehe. What a relief!!!

Also, while I'm at it, do you know why one of the layers with the noise effect (they're all copies!) shows a strange behavior? That happened before the precomposing and I can't figure out why! When I preview it in AE, the light flash looks different than in a rendered version in Premiere! For example, in AE the flash moves from right to left, and in Premiere from left to right and it looks differently, too, making that the second photo actually shows at the wrong time (while in AE it's revealed exactly at the right time because the flash is different!) Because the AE version differs from Premiere it's also kinda tricky to tune it perfectly. And this is the only layer that does it, the other ones seem to be identical... How is that possible?

I was able to solve this problem by making a different copy of the layer with the noise effect, but it's just wondering how it can be that AE and Premiere previews aren't identical, that seems so very strange! Thanks again. :)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 9, 2015 at 3:27:32 pm

It might have been an issue with the cache or something, but without seeing it happen, it's hard to say. At least it's working properly now.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]