ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

New PC Build Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Franklin
New PC Build Question
on Apr 5, 2015 at 7:59:38 pm

Hello all,
I'm currently in the process of putting together a build for my first PC. I'll be working on visual effects primarily using After Effects, Premiere, Mocha, and some C4D. I'm running the CC 2014 products with all the most recent updates. I won't be doing Ray Traced 3D work.

Here is my current build list - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6QkNjX

I'm not quite sure what to get as for storage. I've read here that it's best to have separate drives for the OS, cache/preview files, and Media/Project files. It was also recommended to me that I should instead get one 500 GB SSD drive for the OS and Cache files and two 2TB 7200 RPM drives for an internal RAID system.

For the CPU I was thinking of getting an Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

For the video card I was thinking - Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card

Not quite sure if this is too much info but I typically work with 4K footage using Particular, Red Giant's Denoiser II, Warp Stabilizer, Keylight, Primatte, and many color correction plugins to name a few. Mocha is a huge part of my workflow and I would like to begin to use Element 3D. My current system is pretty limited so I haven't even tried that out.

What do you think of this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any help!
-Tim

Tim Franklin
Freelance Visual Effects Artist/ Video Editor
Media Asset Manager, CBS Sports Network
http://www.TimSFranklin.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: New PC Build Question
on Apr 6, 2015 at 3:10:56 pm

[Tim Franklin] "I'm not quite sure what to get as for storage. I've read here that it's best to have separate drives for the OS, cache/preview files, and Media/Project files."

This is nice, but not necessary.

[Tim Franklin] "It was also recommended to me that I should instead get one 500 GB SSD drive for the OS and Cache files and two 2TB 7200 RPM drives for an internal RAID system. "

Totally reasonable. Just don't forget to back things up!

I see you have only 16 GB of RAM. Your motherboard supports 32 GB. I'd max this out.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 6, 2015 at 5:23:28 pm

For a video card, I'd recommend asking on the COW's Premiere Pro forum. They're a LOT more useful in PP; they don't do much in AE. Not much at all.

It probably wouldn't hurt to run your other hardware specs past those folks as well. Storage may be an issue.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim Franklin
on Apr 6, 2015 at 6:10:48 pm

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, definitely helpful. I was sticking to the 16GB to cut costs for now, but I'll see if I can get that upgraded.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do for cache files. I currently have a 500GB SSD drive for my OS and cache files in AE but it takes up so much space during each session that I have to constantly clear it all which seems counterproductive. Is this a normal thing for all AE users? I'm not even sure if I could afford it but would it be better to get a 750GB or 1TB SSD drive for this?

I'll send these specs over to the Premiere forum for sure.

Thanks!
-Tim

Tim Franklin
Freelance Visual Effects Artist/ Video Editor
Media Asset Manager, CBS Sports Network
http://www.TimSFranklin.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 6, 2015 at 6:16:24 pm

[Tim Franklin] "I'm still trying to figure out what to do for cache files. I currently have a 500GB SSD drive for my OS and cache files in AE but it takes up so much space during each session that I have to constantly clear it all which seems counterproductive. Is this a normal thing for all AE users? I'm not even sure if I could afford it but would it be better to get a 750GB or 1TB SSD drive for this?"

You can set the maximum size for the cache in Ae's preferences. When Ae hits the maximum size, it will remove old cached files as it adds new ones.

You might get two smaller SSDs for OS/cache versus one big one, or start with a single 500 GB drive now and add another a few months down the line and move the cache over there.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 6, 2015 at 6:37:22 pm

...and for AE use, trick that baby out with RAM. As time passes, you won't regret it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]