ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CYMK to RGB // Illustrator to After Effects Color Shift

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taylor RosenbauerCYMK to RGB // Illustrator to After Effects Color Shift
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 5:12:22 pm

I would really appreciate some insight into this issue:

I am working with a logo designed in Illustrator with CYMK colors. I need to work with this AI file in After Effects. Upon importing as a composition to AE, there is a dramatic shift in colors - which I presume is a result of After Effects interpreting the graphic in RGB. I know this to be the case since, when working in Illustrator, if I change the document colors to RGB, it looks exactly as it does once importing into After Effects.

The problem is that I need the logo to look exactly as it does in Illustrator CYMK, but in After Effects. Changing to RGB in Illustrator and then color correcting with curves or something to get back to the intended look is not an option - there must be some way to maintain the look of the CYMK logo but in RGB for AE.

Please help! This is a time sensitive project. Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: CYMK to RGB // Illustrator to After Effects Color Shift
by on Apr 4, 2015 at 4:37:15 pm

The only way to get it to match visually is to make adjustments once the graphic is in the RGB color space. Here's an explanation of why this is the case (last answer on the page):

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/5138/why-are-colors-shifti...

I've been doing CMYK to RGB conversions for years for television graphics (dealing with clients and agencies), and the safest thing to tell them is that you can only "eyeball" it. Tweak the black and white levels, adjust color saturation, and fiddle with contrast until it "looks" like a match. If you can't see the difference, then it's likely that you're client won't.

I've received everything from demands that the colors have to match the PMS chips they submit (which is ridiculous, since I was dealing with additive color and subtractive color in addition to CMYK to RGB), to "just make it look the same as print" (which you can get very close to). I would suggest that once you get your tweaks where you want them, that you save the settings as an Action in Photoshop; that way, you'll have a close starting point when you have to make another conversion.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Taylor RosenbauerRe: CYMK to RGB // Illustrator to After Effects Color Shift
by on Apr 4, 2015 at 7:42:08 pm

Joseph, thank you for your response. It was very helpful. Looks like color correction is the only route - bummer!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: CYMK to RGB // Illustrator to After Effects Color Shift
by on Apr 4, 2015 at 10:10:13 pm

Taylor -

It is a bummer, but the good news is that once you get the color correction nailed (write down all your adjustments), you can create an action in Photoshop which can be run with just a shortcut key. Actions can also work in Adobe Bridge, so you'll have some automation at hand after the first transfer. It may not work perfectly for every conversion, but it should get you really close.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]