ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keyframe Speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gina Sarentino
Keyframe Speed
on Apr 1, 2015 at 7:24:12 pm

Hey all,

I have a question regarding the speed of an objects movement between key frame's. At frame 1 I have a key frame for the position parameter, and then at frame 120 I have another one with a different position. Now knowing the basics I know that cause my keyframes are so far apart,there is no way for me to have the object move faster from point a to b.

So my question is this, IS there a way to increase the speed between key frames without moving the keyframes closer?

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
Re: Keyframe Speed
on Apr 1, 2015 at 7:32:44 pm

You can vary the speed across time with Easy Ease or by using the graph editor, but it is always going to take 120 frames to move between keyframes 120 frames apart.

Return to posts index

Gina Sarentino
on Apr 1, 2015 at 7:37:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Ken, easy ease isnt a fast continous movement that im looking for, is there any other way? or will i have to move the KFs closer?

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
on Apr 1, 2015 at 10:33:46 pm

Unless I misunderstand you...

Yes, if you want the object to move the same distance, only faster, you need to move the position keyframes closer together on the timeline.

You might take a look here: http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....
for some information on timeline basics and other things.

Return to posts index

Gina Sarentino
on Apr 1, 2015 at 10:36:45 pm

Alright Thanks a lot Ken, i'll look into the link, cause I just discovered the speed graph in after effects.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2015 at 10:51:31 pm

Sounds like you may be asking for the impossible.

Speed (aka velocity) is a function of distance traveled divided by the time it takes to get from point A to Point B.

If you want something to move faster in the same amount of time, you have to move Point B further away than it was.

If you want Points A & B to remain where they are, but you STILL want something to move faster, you have to decrease the time it takes to make the move.

Very simple.

BUT... if you want something to move from Point A to B in the same amount of time as it took before -- only make it move faster -- you are describing an impossible situation.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ken Teutsch
on Apr 1, 2015 at 11:08:56 pm

The speed and value graphs can be very confusing. Here's a useful tutorial when you get to that point:

http://www.schoolofmotion.com/intro-to-animation-curves-in-after-effects/

Remember the speed and value graphs will vary the speed over the course of time (start fast, end slow...slow-fast-slow...etc.) but the total amount of time required is still governed by how far apart the keyframes are and how far the object is moving.

Return to posts index

Gina Sarentino
on Apr 1, 2015 at 11:16:58 pm

You both cleared up a lot for, thanks for the help. Im gonna get started on some tutorials and hopefully get what I need. Thanks :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]