ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Element 3D- Extrude Multiple Text layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon HuangElement 3D- Extrude Multiple Text layers
by on Apr 1, 2015 at 12:00:24 pm

Hey guys, multiple text layers in Element 3d have been confusing me for months. So, i've decided to ask here.

How does one create multiple text layers in Element 3D. For example, i have created an Element 3D layer and have assigned a custom layer to "Text 1". But what if want to create dozen text layers? Creating dozens of E3D layers would be improbable. So, for my second text layer, let's call it "Text 2".

I've tried to assign "Text 2" to "path layer 2". But in the E3D settings, under Extruction, i've selected "group 2." If that's the case, only "Text 2" appears, while "Text 1" is hidden.

So does anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to make the text fade in and out like in movie trailers.

Any ideas/ tips/ advice would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Element 3D- Extrude Multiple Text layers
by on Apr 1, 2015 at 12:41:14 pm

I think this will give you the answer (last post on the page):

http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89104

Bear in mind that this post is from 2014 - Element 3D V2 may have changed things a bit.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Element 3D- Extrude Multiple Text layers
by on Apr 1, 2015 at 3:27:24 pm

I think only the group you've selected will appear in the Element 3D interface, but when you save your changes and exit the E3D window, both should appear.

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Element 3D- Extrude Multiple Text layers
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 5:49:30 pm

You can have multiple extrusions in one group. You just tell each extrusion which custom text layer to extrude from. You don't have to put each text extrusion into it's own group. If you want to animate each one individually, you can assign each one to an Auxiliary group. You don't get multi-object control with Auxiliary group animation, but you can rotate the whole word, position, scale it, etc.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Simon HuangRe: Element 3D- Extrude Multiple Text layers
by on Apr 14, 2015 at 12:56:56 pm
Last Edited By Simon Huang on Apr 14, 2015 at 1:23:02 pm

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I have created 3 different extrusions but they are overlapping each other.
How do i animate it? For example, how do i adjust the opacity for each of the 3 texts? In addition, Element 3D V1.6 doesn't seem to have the auxiliary option.

I have also followed the instructions from the last post in this thread.
http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89104

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Simon HuangRe: Element 3D- Extrude Multiple Text layers
by on Apr 14, 2015 at 1:58:27 pm
Last Edited By Simon Huang on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:00:04 pm

Never mind, i finally figured it out! :)

For those who are also experiencing the same problem, what i did was:

1) Created three different text layers + Element 3D layer.
2) Under custom layers, assigned each of the text to its respective path.
3) Crt + D ( 3 times).
4) Under extruction Model, assigned "Text 1" to group 1. "Text 2" to group 2. etc.
5) Changed the custom paths to what ever the groups they are in.
6) To change the text individually, go to one of the groups that the text is in and simply animate it.

Damn, took months to figure this out. :)

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Element 3D- Extrude Multiple Text layers
by on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:36:37 pm

Ah, yeah, you should have indicated which version of Element you were using. Also, this kind of thing would take 3 days, tops, to sort out with support from Video Copilot if you were to email them. info@videocopilot.net

In V2 of Element, you can arrange the text layers within groups in the UI itself. They initially start out overlapping, but there are X,Y,Z handles to move the models around before exiting the new interface. It's pretty awesome.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]