ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mocha for AE - transform data: scale data wonky

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry CoolidgeMocha for AE - transform data: scale data wonky
by on Apr 1, 2015 at 2:26:26 am

I've searched through the forum to see if this question has already been asked/answered, but I'm not finding what I need.

I understand the difference between exporting corner pin data and transform data, and I need transform data for what I'm doing. I have a text layer that needs to move, rotate, and scale with a piece of footage, so the corner pin method would not be appropriate. I intend to apply the Mocha tracking data to a null layer and then attach the text layer to the null using "parent."

I know about needing to turn off the key frame stopwatch for the anchor point attribute and resetting the anchor point to 0,0.

My problem is that, while the purple grid within Mocha is attached perfectly to my footage based on the tracking region I defined, the exported data is not providing the desired results in AE. The tracking process in Mocha appears to have worked like a charm. However, when pasting the transform data into AE, the scale property is yielding results that are not even close. It's almost like there's some sort of additional multiplier being applied to the scale property. Positional and rotational data appears correct, but the scale data just isn't right. My null scales up too much and does not appear "stuck" to the underlying footage. Can anyone explain or suggest a way of troubleshooting? I'm really confounded since, as I mentioned, the purple grid in Mocha indicates a perfect track.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Mocha for AE - transform data: scale data wonky
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 11:03:03 am

The Cornerpin tracking data from mocha MAY BE appropriate or even ideal depending on the type of rotation and if there is perspective change in the area where you want your text to stick onto.

You mentioned micha's purple grid providing a cue that the track is rock solid. The issue with using the term grid with respect to mocha is that there is a grid object in mocha and it does reflect the tracking accuracy BUT it does not specify where exactly the tracking data is/should be. For this, you use mocha's Planar Surface.

For Corner Pin export, the four edges of the Planar Surface defines each of the points for the Corner Pin effect. For export of transform data, the center of the Planar Surface defines the Position and Anchor Point.

Let us know if these pieces of information helps you to resolve your issue.

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Mocha for AE - transform data: scale data wonky
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 4:38:26 pm

As Roland mentions: display the "Surface" the blue rectangle and if you only want the transform, scale & rotation. Position and scale the surface to where you want your export data, then export.

Hope that helps.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Terry CoolidgeRe: Mocha for AE - transform data: scale data wonky
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 10:21:34 pm

I appreciate understanding the use of the planar surface to define what area I want to use for exporting tracking data as that may be different from the area used to actually create the tracking data. Thanks for the tip. However, this did not seem to help. When I copy and paste the tracking data to my text layer or null layer in AE, the layer does not appear "stuck" to the underlying footage at all. It's appears "in sync," in that it speeds up and slows down and does appear driven by the tracking data, but it definitely is not "locked down." Not only is the AE layer sliding, but it also scales at a different rate even if the start and end points of the scale seem to be the same.

I'm not seeing how Corner Pin data would be helpful. Unless there's a script that converts positional data for the four corner points into scalar and rotational data.

I apologize if I'm doing something obviously goofy. I'm sure it shouldn't be this difficult. Should I upload my footage and an AE project with the pasted data for someone to take a look at?

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Mocha for AE - transform data: scale data wonky
by on Apr 2, 2015 at 10:31:06 pm

Have you checked that the frame rate and pixel aspect ratio in mocha project matches your AE project. This is a common mistake that causes slippage.

If you'd like official mocha support, please use this link:

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved