ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Export Using Up Disk Space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Andrew
After Effects Export Using Up Disk Space
on Mar 31, 2015 at 5:26:48 pm

So before I hit the render button, I have 32gb of disk space on my HD, then as the comp begins to render, that space goes down until it hits like 40mb and after effects can't render. The comp is not that big, and I'm also rendering to a server, the the file size of the exported comp is not the issue. Why is this happening and how can I fix it. Also if I close after effects, my disk space goes back to normal.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects Export Using Up Disk Space
on Mar 31, 2015 at 6:03:20 pm

32 gigs of storage isn't much in AE terms. Are you certain you're rendering to a server?
Personally, I'd get more storage, render locally, and transfer the file to the server.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Andrew
on Mar 31, 2015 at 6:27:33 pm

Yes I am 100% I'm rendering to the server. When I hit render, the storage on my HD drops to almost 0mb within 5 min. Then when I stop the render, all the disk space slowly comes back after 10 min or so. I think there is a bigger issue here than storage. No one in my office has ever seen anything like this happen before.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2015 at 7:29:37 pm

Where's your media cache? I'll bet it's on the internal hard drive.

For now, you may have to go into AE's Secret Preferences (Shift while selecting Preferences) and set AE to purge every X number of frames.

If you can, obtain an SSD (512 GB is great) to install on your machine for AE Caches. Not only will it eliminate the need to purge, it will speed up rendering.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Andrew
on Apr 1, 2015 at 7:36:20 pm

Great, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]