ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ideal "dream" computer config for work with Ae&Pr ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tal MorIdeal "dream" computer config for work with Ae&Pr ?
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:22:51 pm
Last Edited By Tal Mor on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:25:30 pm

Hi

1. What would be the dream configuration for Mac, for work with AE&Premiere? (for work with at least 4k,3D, particular etc...)

Would it be Mac Pro ? (which configuration) I heard that MacPro has some issues when working with Adobe products. Is that true ?
Or perhaps an iMac would be better? (which config)

2. I narrowed down my question to ideal Mac configuration, as I'm a bit reluctant to work again with Windows OS. I assume I can get a very strong PC in cheaper price... Apart from price, would it be better to get a strong PC ??

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Ideal "dream" computer config for work with Ae&Pr ?
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:45:49 pm

Right now, Apple doesn't seem to be very interested in making a solid OS that works for professionals. That may sound a bit harsh, but I'm not mad...I'm disappointed.

I used to love Macs, but they seem to have lost their way in the professional realm. I think they've found tons of money from casual/normal people (iPhones, iPads, MacBooks) and have decided they don't need to worry about the professional market anymore. I got excited when they announced the black cylinder Mac Pros, but the reviews I've been seeing from folks who got them haven't been bright.

I still like Apple, as a company. I appreciate their environmental work. I like their progressive social attitudes. And, importantly, I think they design many of their products very well - just...not the products I need for work.

At work and at home for freelancing, I have PC's, but I do still have a MacBook Pro that I use on the road (NOT upgraded to Yosemite though).

Hopefully Apple gets back in our good graces. Professional users like us are what kept them alive. It was all a good graphic designer would work on! I hope they don't plan to abandon us just because they've found success in the mass market.

In the meantime, we are lucky that Windows 7 is rock solid and that Windows 10 has some very positive rumblings going on.

In any case, what you want is fast processor clock speed, about 4 GB of RAM per core, an SSD (for AE's cache), and a GPU that's on Premiere's list of approved cards.

If you can wait, you might hold off for a bit to see any NAB announcements about the future of After Effects (Adobe usually announces stuff at NAB). For the past year or so, the majority of the AE team has been dedicated to rewriting the core of the software to improve interactivity and rendering, so the future changes may impact recommendations. Specifically, things like multiprocessing might be different. You might want to cheat towards more cores at a slight hit to core speed or core speed might be king, we can't know anything until it's announced what the changes are going to be.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tal MorRe: Ideal "dream" computer config for work with Ae&Pr ?
by on Mar 31, 2015 at 12:40:32 pm

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer.
I will wait for NAB and probably follow up again in this thread for further advice.

Many thanks !!
Tal

Return to posts index

Tal MorRe: Ideal "dream" computer config for work with Ae&Pr ?
by on Apr 17, 2015 at 11:51:57 am

Hi Michael,

Wondering if there are already any updates from NAB which will help me decide which computer to buy.
Do you know if there are any changes with regards to Mac ?

My understanding is that Macs are working with Adobe just as good as PC's.
The main difference is there is no CUDA acceleration with Mac. Is that so ?

Will appreciate your advice !!

Thanks
Tal

Return to posts index

by on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:48:35 pm

[Tal Mor] "The main difference is there is no CUDA acceleration with Mac. Is that so ?"

There is no CUDA acceleration with PC's either. The only thing CUDA accelerated was the ray-traced renderer. The ray-traced renderer is now considered an obsolete effect. New NVIDIA cards won't accelerate it because NVIDIA changed the Optix library (which is what the effect was built on) and Adobe is not going to waste development time on an outdated effect. (And we wouldn't want them to; the new features in AE are much more useful.)

[Tal Mor] "Wondering if there are already any updates from NAB which will help me decide which computer to buy."

Not particularly. The next update of AE will be more reliant on the clock speed of a single core more than how many cores you have.
(And they didn't make any public announcements about the version after that one.)

[Tal Mor] "Do you know if there are any changes with regards to Mac ?"

The Yosemite preview issue in AE is gone due to the revamped previewing process, but otherwise not much that I heard.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ideal "dream" computer config for work with Ae&Pr ?
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 5:02:29 pm

Gotta agree with Michael -- with the exception of Mac die-hards, the bloom is off the rose for demanding multimedia work, and AE is certainly included in that.

Hardware requirements for AE: lots of memory, a big SSD for caching, and fast processors. Processor speed is favored over the number of them for AE. Graphics cards? They don't really play a role in AE.

But if you truly plan to cut in 4K with Premiere Pro, you need to talk to those folks about the hardware requirements.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Patrick DunnRe: Ideal "dream" computer config for work with Ae&Pr ?
by on Oct 12, 2015 at 5:19:03 pm

Hi - having followed various threads about this, I'm still undecided what to do. I produce a very wide range of motion graphics, all in After Effects (simple corporate infographics to highly complex particle-based stuff for music sync). I bought a maxed out iMac a while ago (5k, 4.0ghz processor, 1tb ssd, 32gb ram) and was largely unimpressed when compared to my aging macbook pro (2012). The iMac was consistently 30% quicker in a wide range of tasks (RAM prev and render); but that couldn't justify the expense so I returned it.

I'm now looking at various mac pros, but I keep reading that processor speed, not multi core, is most important. The iMac had a super fast processor but wasn't impressive. I set it up according to all the best advice etc.

If I get an 8 core mac pro 64gb ram, 1tb drive etc. will this help? Don't want to jump ship back to windows as my music tools won't work.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2015 at 2:18:15 pm

Get an SSD. That will certainly help.

When you say "8-core", that's not very helpful info. What is the clock speed? Until the AE team delivers the new, multi-threaded renderer in a future version of AE, the clock speed for single core work is still one of the primary factors of speed in AE.

30% faster didn't justify the expense for you? It would for me!

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Patrick DunnRe: Ideal "dream" computer config for work with Ae&Pr ?
by on Oct 14, 2015 at 2:48:18 pm

Hi - thanks for that! Basically I'm comparing a fairly old (2012) maxed out macbook pro with a completely maxed out 5k iMac (SSD, 32gb RAM, 4.0ghz cpu etc.). When I've worked in a couple of agencies on (old) Mac pros I've had more than 200% speed gain on my laptop, (something like 40 min render down to just over 8 mins). I've actually ordered an old (2010) Mac pro, 12 core 3.5ghz, 64gb RAM to see if that gets me any closer! Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Ideal "dream" computer config for work with Ae&Pr ?
by on Oct 15, 2015 at 10:26:14 am

Patrick, when it comes in, let's talk about Ae's memory and multiprocessing settings.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]