ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Import Chyron Files (Lyric .lyr, and etc.) to After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim GunkelImport Chyron Files (Lyric .lyr, and etc.) to After Effects?
by on Mar 28, 2015 at 9:51:11 pm

We have a graphics designer delivering a series of stills and animated shells for a TV Truck Chyron system. We would like to use the same graphics in post (Avid and After Effects) to keep a consistent look.

Is there a plug-in or easily exchangeable format to go from Chyron to After Effects? Teh assets are all delivered as Chryon .LBU (Lyric Back Up) files, with the Lyrics files and other referenced assets like fonts, Targas and MOVs.

We found an old Avid AVX 1.0 plug-in that seems to import older Lyric files to Avid, but to import these to After Effects and render out QT or AVI files with alpha for editing...we are coming up blank.

Anyone out there have a good workflow for this?

Tim G

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Import Chyron Files (Lyric .lyr, and etc.) to After Effects?
by on Mar 29, 2015 at 2:31:39 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 31, 2015 at 5:02:30 pm

I've personally made alpha channel movies for a Chyron box, but I've NEVER heard of going Chyron to AE.

I've never seen the .lyr extension among the supported file types in AE, either. I'd imagine it's the file that runs the animation in Lyric, selecting how to do the animation in real time based on keyboard/mouse input.

That degree of automation isn't available in AE.

I'd talk to the designer about getting the custom graphics for use in AE. I can pretty much guarantee you'll have to rebuild the displays in AE, and render them with alpha channels for use in AVID. And I'd make sure you've got the typefaces you need... and that both AE & Avid can see the typefaces.

A Chyron's a CG on steroids -- made for fast and often automated text input in specified screen locations, frequently incorporating automated options for background/foreground graphics & animations... and it's all ready to go in seconds in real time.

How about AE? Not even close! But it CAN combine text & graphics like a Chyron. Just not nearly as fast as a Chyron.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved