ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating customized maps for commercial use?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy McCloudCreating customized maps for commercial use?
by on Mar 28, 2015 at 7:44:15 pm

I have a music video project I'm working on in which I'm to show a ship traveling on a map starting at Matecumbe Key and then to zoom out to show it traveling to Key West, Florida.

I've never done this before so I'm not sure where the best place would be to get the image, that is, a place that would allow me to use for commercial purpose, I can put credits to the maps while the map is shown or at the end credits if I need to.

I came across openstreetmap that I thought I would use here:

but thought I could simply export the image to get a high res image from it I can use, but it just exports a osm data file. I did more research and installed QGIS, that I thought I could use to create the map and possibly remove the text from it and just leave the land, highways and ocean but the program is too complex for me.

Any ideas of the easiest way I can do this. I have exactly one week to create these maps and finish the video.

I'd be very grateful if I could get a little advice from someone more experienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Creating customized maps for commercial use?
by on Mar 29, 2015 at 8:42:26 pm

Google Earth Pro is free to use now - that's one choice you have- read the fine print for attribution.
Geo Layers would be my choice though, as it is a plugin that works directly in AE and uses map servers to create map animations. At 99 bucks is a good deal.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved