ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pointing to an object in a 3D precomp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierpaolo FerlainoPointing to an object in a 3D precomp
by on Mar 26, 2015 at 9:46:27 am

I'm not sure it can be done and I hope I 'm clear about what I'm trying to do.

Basically, when I distribute objects in 3D space, in order to point the camera to a specific object I do like this:

- link the camera to a 3D null
- copy the position of the target layer
- paste it to the position of the 3D null

Now the camera is pointing at my target object...

Can I do the same thing if these object are inside a precomp with collapse transformation on?

I have a pre comp with my objects distributed in 3D space and I need to use different instances of this precomp but I would like my camera to point exactly at a some layers inside this precomp...

I know I can do this by hand but I was looking for a more precise method... If it even exists...

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Pointing to an object in a 3D precomp
by on Mar 26, 2015 at 1:16:31 pm

I'm assuming you want to get the current position of a layer to keyframe a camera animation. The simplest way would be to keyframe and animate your camera inside this precomp, then copy/paste the camera to the parent comp and compensate its transformations for any space/time discrepancies.

You can also use expressions that access and translate any space coordinates of any layer inside any comp to any other comp. (e.g creating a null and "linking it" to the layer you need to address, so you can copy/paste as you're used to.)

Return to posts index

Pierpaolo FerlainoRe: Pointing to an object in a 3D precomp
by on Apr 3, 2015 at 9:56:59 am

Yes. That is what I was trying to do...
Many thanks...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved