ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shape Masks/Gradient

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Lewis
Shape Masks/Gradient
on Mar 24, 2015 at 1:37:52 pm

Hello all,

I am trying to convert a shape into a mask. Basically I have designed a graphic in illustrator and imported that into AE. Once in AE I have converted it to shape layers. I wish to use a animated gradient that us masked by 9 shapes . Its a speed gauge that is made up of 9 rounded rectangles. I want to use these shapes as masks for the animated gradient to show through. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Shape Masks/Gradient
on Mar 24, 2015 at 1:54:03 pm

What part of that process are you having difficulty with? You can put those masks on a layer, if you want. Or you could put them on a layer and use it as a track matte... Track matte info here [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ben Lewis
on Mar 24, 2015 at 1:59:58 pm

Hiya,

Thanks for your response. Im pretty new to AE and was having trouble in both animating the gradient and then masking it with the afore mentioned shapes. Once I've done all that I'll need to track it to the footage. Im originally a motion user but I know I need to learn AE.

I've attached a grab.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 24, 2015 at 2:02:07 pm

If you're new to AE, I would highly recommend that you start here: http://adobe.ly/AE_basics
I know it may look like a scary wall of text, but it's a lot less scary than facing After Effects alone. :)
AE is a pretty powerful program but that also means it's not something you can just poke around at and understand. You really do need a proper foundation before you can start building.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ben Lewis
on Mar 24, 2015 at 2:04:24 pm

Thanks I'll take a look.

Do you have any pointers on how I should go about this specific issue for now?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 24, 2015 at 2:16:20 pm

Well, nothing's been attached in your posts to look at, but I would probably go the track matte route as linked in my initial post.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Ben Lewis
on Mar 24, 2015 at 2:59:10 pm

Here you go. polarv650productlaunchfilm-hd.png

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 24, 2015 at 3:12:23 pm

Put a Gradient Ramp effect on a solid layer.
Create a precomp with your shapes and use that as a Track Matte for your Gradient Ramp layer.
Move the start and end points of the ramp so they fit inside your shapes.
Use the Colorama effect to make the gradient ramp have the colors you want.
Animate a Linear Wipe effect to animate the gradient.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Ben Lewis
on Mar 24, 2015 at 3:26:49 pm

Thank you Michael. Coming from Motion this is a very different workflow!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 24, 2015 at 3:52:59 pm

Yes, AE and Motion are very different! Motion is faster and easier to learn, but is much more limiting.
Welcome to AE! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Ben Lewis
on Mar 24, 2015 at 5:24:39 pm

So sorry to be a clutz but I can't seem to get the track matte to work. Do I need to change the rounded rectangles to have a black fill in illustrator before I apply the matte?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 24, 2015 at 6:35:57 pm

No. If you convert them to shape layers in AE, you can set a fill in AE. However, it may be easier to give them a fill in Illustrator if you're more familiar with it.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Ben Lewis
on Mar 24, 2015 at 6:38:51 pm

Ok i'll give that a go but am I changing the fill layer to white or black? I want to retain the original look of the graphics with the white outline. Once i've created the animated gauge will I need to rebuild the graphic? Sorry to be so thick!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Mar 24, 2015 at 6:44:02 pm

There are a couple of solutions to your issue. If you make them shape layers in AE, you can have them in the precomp with a fill (and no stroke) and it won't matter what color it is - you'll just use the alpha for an alpha matte. Then, in your main comp, have another copy of them with just the outline.

If you fill the shapes in Illustrator, you could make the fill black, then keep a copy of it in the main comp set to screen (so you have the outlines). Then, in the precomp, put them over a white background and use that precomp as an inverted luma matte.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Ben Loogman
on Mar 31, 2015 at 10:29:29 pm

Hi guys,

I have sort of the same problem only I want to make a mask from an effect.

I am working on a project related to music, and I am using therefore the Audio Spectrum effect.

1) What I now want to do is use the analog line as a border for a mask. The part underneath the line I want to fill with a color, but above the line must be transparant to see the layers behind it.
See pic for extra explanation.
http://nl.tinypic.com/r/2dlnoxu/8

Is this possibel and how do I do it?

2) Also I want to use the effect 2 times in the same shot. Now what I can do is put another audio spectrum into the project and do the same thing. However I want to keep the render time as short as possible and adding another audio spectrum will not enhance this.

So it is possible to sort of duplicate the effect? That is just will look at the first audio spectrum and copy past it somewhere else in the shot.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Return to posts index

Ben Lewis
on Mar 31, 2015 at 10:44:31 pm

Hi! I finally figured this one out with help from a friend. I was building a "progress bar' type graphic so I drew a number of curved rectangles on one shape layer. These were outlines only. Then I duplicated that layer and switched the outlines to fill. This all had to be in white as I was told to use a track matte. In a separate comp I build a gradient bar and animated using a mask. I precomposed it and added this to my progress bar comp. The trick is to get the correct layer hierarchy.

8695_screenshot20150331at23.40.14.png.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]