ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

exporting to photoshop with alpha

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Theo Buchinskasexporting to photoshop with alpha
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 8:17:35 pm

I'm trying to do something that should be simple, but have been banging my head over it all day. Basically I am trying to export a still image from AE, that I can take into photoshop with full Alpha. Client loved my logo treatment, and now wants to use it for some of their printed materials as well, but I need to export a version with a transparent background so it can be used in illustrator or other design programs. Decided getting it into .psd would be best first step, then I can create an .eps with embedded image.
Every time I try to save frame as file>photoshop, I get a flattened .psd with a black background (even though in finder it shows as transparent, photoshop always interprets the alpha as black and opens it as a flattened background image), or if I export as photoshop layers, the effects layer doesn't come across (trapcode shine on adjustment layer).
Even an export to .tiff ends up with a flattened background when opening in photoshop.
Anyone have a solution for this?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: exporting to photoshop with alpha
by on Mar 24, 2015 at 12:56:34 pm

Use PNG.

For Photoshop and TIFF files, Ae saves transparency in an alpha channel (basically a matte to store a selection), but not directly in the image's transparency. You can load the selection and use it to mask a layer in Photoshop.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved