ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects with MultiCore Rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spenser Sembrat
After Effects with MultiCore Rendering
on Mar 23, 2015 at 3:01:46 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering how I might improve my render speed using the multicore rendering. I read about this awhile ago but I can't seem to find the article.

What I want to do is make my rendering faster. I have a duo core i3 processor, 1TB of space and (only) 8GB of RAM. What I want to do is enable multicore rendering, as in assigning a certain amount of RAM to each of my cores. Would anyone be able to tell me how to do so?

Also, while I'm here, would buying more RAM improve the overall function of AE? When I use AE, my CPU usage is at 10%, and my RAM usage is at 95%-100%. Would buying more RAM help?

Thanks so much in advance!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects with MultiCore Rendering
on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:23:57 pm

[Spenser Sembrat] " I have a duo core i3 processor, 1TB of space and (only) 8GB of RAM... Also, while I'm here, would buying more RAM improve the overall function of AE? When I use AE, my CPU usage is at 10%, and my RAM usage is at 95%-100%. Would buying more RAM help?"

Yes -- but that i3 processor will become your next bottleneck after you get more RAM.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Spenser Sembrat
on Mar 23, 2015 at 7:44:14 pm

Ok thanks! Yes, well... As of now, I can't have everything :) Just upgrading whenever I can :)

Return to posts index

David Franklin
on Mar 24, 2015 at 12:47:57 am

I'm having the opposite problem. I have a 2012 12 core MacPro with 32 GB of RAM. But when I render especially heavy comps (like those including Trapcode Particular) I max out my processor speed. Unfortunately, I have the 2.4MHz version of this machine, and eventually, the renders stall. The same comp renders on a newer mac pro trashcan model with difficulty, but also with success.

So the question is, can my machine be upgraded? Would installing a CUDA card help at all? Or is that only going to help with the 3D engine (which I never use)?

I could add RAM, but if my processor is already maxed out, that seems like it might be a little bit of a waste of time and money.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the activity monitor during my mulit-core render:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q6tpefupiire7e/ActivityMonitorFreezeFrame.tiff?d...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86amprxjq3djvwm/ActivityMonitorSnapshot2.tiff?dl=...

Any advice from the hive mind would be much appreciated, as I've spent most of my afternoon banging my head against the internet trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

MacPro 5,1 2012 Windmere
Dual 6 Core Intel Xeon 2.4GHz Processors
32GB RAM
Premiere Pro CC 2014
After Effects CC 2014
Cinema 4D R15

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]