ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating solar eclipse, moon shadow on the sun in after effects CC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rune Luk
Animating solar eclipse, moon shadow on the sun in after effects CC
on Mar 23, 2015 at 10:05:08 am
Last Edited By Rune Luk on Mar 23, 2015 at 10:07:18 am

Hello, I timelapsed the recent eclipse but it was really cloudy, so for kicks I thought I'd make my own fake one in AE. Also, nice way to get to know the program.

the sun looks perfect and realistic, but I just can make the eclipse part work. I've tried with a moon shadow following the path of the sun, then masking it into play when the sky darkens, that looks wrong, choppy and unrealistic.
I've tried with a static moon shape that is also masked into play on top of the sun with a mask, that looks a lot better, but the way the shadow moves across the sun looks strange - it's an ellipse type shape, looks more like a cat eye.

I've also experimented with CC Sphere and that seems to be the better option for the shadow moving in across the sun from one direction, but when leaving the sun it doesn't look realistic because it's a flip rather that a constant disk motion. I've been batteling this for a while and now I'm asking for help, screen shots provided.

It's a pretty simple job, I guess, but I've come to my wits end and I'm overlooking the obvious solution, I think.
Never mind how the shadow looks, btw, it's just a shape tester, as you see, the shape is wrong. This is a static shadow in the comp, I've made the motion of it with a mask parented to the movement of the sun. Probably a really dumb solution.

TL;DR: How to make a solar eclipse in after effects seen from the earth.

All help GREATLY appreciated

Return to posts index

Rune Luk
Re: Animating solar eclipse, moon shadow on the sun in after effects CC
on Mar 23, 2015 at 1:40:18 pm

Ok, trying lit solid and solid cast shadow in front of that

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Animating solar eclipse, moon shadow on the sun in after effects CC
on Mar 23, 2015 at 2:09:56 pm

Reference photos will help!

You don't want to simply obscure a bright layer with a darker one; you'll want some kind of glow or light wrap around that darker layer to integrate it into the scene.

Lens flare effects (like Video Copilot Optical Flares are Red Giant Knoll Light Factory) are enormously useful for simulating the optical effects of bright light sources.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]