ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

reversed particle dissolve from a point?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Beathreversed particle dissolve from a point?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 5:32:53 am

Hi all,
Firstly, a thanks to all who manage this place and give such a wealth of knowledge and time to helping others in their quests. This is a first post despite having browsed and learnt from this forum for nearly a year now. It just goes to show how much help and problem solving information you have given to myself and many other just by doing some searching. You guys rock.

So, here I am with a little problem/challenge that I can't seem to find an answer or figure out a workaround to.

I need to create a particle forming character that originates from a small point. Namely a character casting a double of himself with a wave of his hand.

I've been using particular successfully throughout the project to form the lead character as he dissolves and and re-forms around the scene by reversing the footage and creating nice particle dissolve (layer emitter and masks) then flipping it back. Works beautifully and the look is exactly what I'm after. In these instances the particles coming in from seemingly anywhere (using wind and gravity to give some direction) is great. But with this, I'm a bit stuck.

Using the reversed footage dissolving method, is there a way to make the particles take a path that directs them all to a point after dissolving from the layer?
I've attached an image that will give you an idea of the outcome I'm after....

Dude on the left waves his arm.... Dude on the right emerges from a mass of particles from said left dudes hand.../arm..

Any help with is massively appreciated, and again... The help I've received already without even having ask is massively appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: reversed particle dissolve from a point?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 2:04:38 pm

You can use Particular's spherical fields (Particular > Physics > Air > Spherical Field) to suck particles into a point, then run this layer backwards.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Adam BeathRe: reversed particle dissolve from a point?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 2:31:20 pm

Thank you Walter.... I was literally about to shut down for the night. I had played with this before but always saw it as a repellent... Never realised I could go negative for the sucking effect!! I just looked into it and gave it a try. EXACTLY what I needed!!

I had to keyframe the radius to get the effect I'm after and it's bang on. You sir, have just helped me out yet again! Thank you.

Please excuse my english... I'm from New Zealand....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved