ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

need to replicate a shape many times in different places on a map...which effect should I be using?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Natteauneed to replicate a shape many times in different places on a map...which effect should I be using?
by on Mar 22, 2015 at 5:54:03 pm

For a documentary-film on the Holocaust, I'm making an animated map showing the location of Einsatzgruppen massacres.

I'm using this USHMM (source: U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum) map for reference:

As you can see from the reference map, there have to be at least 60 or 70 locations. Is there any shortcut method to doing this that might not involve having to create about 60 to 70 layers to display the 60-70 x's.

Thank you very much in advance for any feedback.

Return to posts index

Ben LoogmanRe: need to replicate a shape many times in different places on a map...which effect should I be using?
by on Mar 22, 2015 at 8:29:57 pm

The only thing I can think of is doing something with particle effect.
Only I don't know how to do that exactly.

Return to posts index

Nicholas NatteauRe: need to replicate a shape many times in different places on a map...which effect should I be using?
by on Mar 22, 2015 at 8:34:17 pm

Can this be done with the Repeater Effect?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: need to replicate a shape many times in different places on a map...which effect should I be using?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 12:03:34 am

Since it appears that you want accuracy in your map locations, I don't think that a particle effect would be of any use. It looks as if there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 data points (locations) on your reference map. By selecting a single layer with your locator graphic on it, then pressing CTRL-D 99 times, you'd have all your layers ready to move into position. Then it's a relatively straightforward matter to move each one into its location.

There are geo-location scripts available, if you have the exact locations available, but I think this would be more time consuming than moving them into place by hand:

http://aescripts.com/locations/

There's also a very cool script called GEOLayers on the same site.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Nicholas NatteauRe: need to replicate a shape many times in different places on a map...which effect should I be using?
by on Mar 23, 2015 at 12:27:02 am

Thank you so much Joseph. It looks like that will be the best solution for me. Thank you again.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2015 at 12:25:43 am

Hi Joseph,

Regarding the geo-locations script. Will that work on any map?
Will I be able to add those geotagged locations to any map? Or just the map that might have come with that script? The reason I ask is that I took a modern day world map I downloaded from wikipedia and changed some borders of European states so that it looks like a WWII map of the world.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]