ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Import materials with an obj sequence for use with Element 3d?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David CabestanyImport materials with an obj sequence for use with Element 3d?
by on Mar 20, 2015 at 7:18:21 pm

Hello,

Anyone knows how to import separate materials on an obj sequence for use with Element 3D V2?
I need the 3d object to have two colors like this:

But when I bring the sequence (exported using Plexus OBJ Sequence exporter) into Element 3D it looks like this:

Only one material makes it to Element.
It has to be an obj sequence because the laptop is morphing into a phone.

How do I get the two materials into my AE project?

Thanks in advance,
D.

Return to posts index

Claude RozsaRe: Import materials with an obj sequence for use with Element 3d?
by on Mar 20, 2015 at 9:19:12 pm

Hi David
When you import in E3D an object the textures are not imported. In that case you have to import separately the different elements of the texture (diffuse, normal; etc...Here is a series of pictures of how I do it in one of my models.

1/ Here the main part of the column have no textures.The main column (all are similar and copies) is highlighted in blue in the scene column of the project

Collapse the little arrow and the different parts of the model appear. When you click on one of them in the edit column near the main preview screen you can see at the top the different parameters to fill or select.

When collapsed you can see the different elements of my columns the one highlited in blue corresponds to the texture of this part of the column actually white and bare.

2/ Go to the edit column near the preview panel and on the texture element choose "diffuse" and click on it. a new panel opens where you can upload your texture and decide how the uv will appear.Do the same for the elements if you have them.Before finishing check that all the little squares are blue indicating that they are live and visible.

I hope I've been clear. Don' hesitate to contact me if there's something you did not understand.(Take into account the time difference, I'm in Paris-France not USA!lol!)

Claude

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Import materials with an obj sequence for use with Element 3d?
by on Mar 24, 2015 at 2:47:53 pm

Thanks a lot Claude, this is very thorough and helpful.

Am I correct in assuming this is happening because this is a sequence? I seem to remember importing several textures on still objects just fine in the past.

Best,
David.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 24, 2015 at 10:09:42 pm

Hi David
Honestly I can't answer the question. I'm rather new with E3D and AE. I'm not a professional by an amateur video maker making mostly videos of my trips in particular my hikes in the Grand Canyon. I'm presently on a project gathering in 45 to 60 minutes different trips I made to Pompeii and Herculaneum and I wrote a little script which is a kind of fantastic story of aliens arriving in the ruins and being welcomed by one of the victims of the eruption who comes back to life and serves them as a guide in the sites. Each time they approach a major location it turns out like it was before the catastrophe, hence this model of the Temple of Jupiter which is part of the Forum where I'm going to have 212 columns around it!!!!!

I had the problem with the 2 colors on the column and a guy on the forum explained I should use a 3 parts column instead of one whole column as the E3D is incapable of doing it otherwise. When I tried I had the column either full red or full yellow! So my whole temple is made of a huge number of pieces and as said earlier to have them all at the same time I used only one group. I have not checked yet the paper I found about the channels etc.

To be honest I find that the documentation given on the VideoCopilot site for E3D a bit short; for instance what are the units used in the size parameters, what reference is used when the sizes are expressed in % ? % of what? I've put a question on the forum there and got no answers. I'll send a message to Andrew Kramer because it can be important especially in a case like mine where there are strict proportions to respect architecturally speaking. All the measures of the temple and columns are a function of the diameter of the column, even the space between two of them, and it varies whether you're in the Ionic or Doric style!

Thank God I have time being retired from my financial profession! But for someone for which this is a full time job, time is money and the customer will not wait for you to have the answer!

If I get news, I'll contact you; you can also send me a private message I'll be glad to answer with my very limited knowledge.

Claude

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2015 at 10:42:28 am

Hi David,

I've just found this website which eventually may be of some use for you if you want to use an obj model in E3D independently of your skills in developing your own; I was looking for a doric frieze for my temple columns. What is nice is that the textures were uploaded with the obj file (not sure it's always the case for all of them). https://sketchfab.com/ .

Best
Claude

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: Import materials with an obj sequence for use with Element 3d?
by on Mar 30, 2015 at 3:39:54 pm

Thanks a lot Claude, I'll check it out in a bit.

Best,
D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]