ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

font query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brett
font query
on Mar 20, 2015 at 11:38:45 am

Hi --- am using Nexus Font font manager.

Works great with AE ---- all I have to do is 'view' it in Nexus font without installing it and I can use it in an edit.

I cant get Photoshop to access fonts in the same way - does anybody know if this is possible please?

-------------------------------- chris -----

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: font query
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:09:04 pm

Hi Chris -

I use Nexus as well, and as far as I know, the fonts I'm viewing in there are fonts which are already installed on my system (correct me if I'm wrong on this - I'd love to have access to fonts without installing them). Do you have to have Nexus open when you're making the fonts available to AE? Are you copying and pasting them the way you would from Windows Character Map? I would think that anything which is available to AE would also work with Photoshop. Sorry to follow your question with a question, but this piques my curiosity.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Mar 20, 2015 at 4:15:30 pm

Hi Joe

-- in Nexus I have folders with various selections / main / wacky / whatever....

--- if I open Nexus then open a folder BEFORE I run up AE it will access all the fonts in the folder that is open in Nexus without them being installed -- this is very useful I think

----------------- best regards ------ chris ---

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 20, 2015 at 6:38:31 pm

This is extremely useful. I'll check out both AE and PS on my end, and see if I get the same results. I have some fonts not installed yet, so I'll give them a try. Thanks.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 20, 2015 at 7:07:41 pm

OK, Chris...I just went and downloaded a typeface I know I don't have installed on my machine (I have over 3500 typefaces installed on my workstation, so I wanted to be sure). I put it in a folder, accessed that folder in Nexus, but a check mark next to it (don't know if that's necessary), and it showed up in AE! Then I opened Photoshop, and it showed up just fine there as well!

Here's what I'm running: Win 7, and CS6 Master Collection, AE and PS. I don't think I did anything different from what you described, other than the check mark next to the typeface I selected. That may be the key to it. Thanks again for this, I'm going to start uninstalling fonts - my bootup time will probably be cut in half!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Mar 20, 2015 at 7:27:11 pm

Hi Joe -- thanks for feedback - will try the checkbox which I dont normally do.

------- glad this is of use.

Would have expected 3,500 fonts to slow things down a lot -- do you have a really fast machine to cope please?

-- also please how do you get to a font on the list without taking ages to scroll down ? -- sounds like there a few management things I need to learn ( maybe ) ---

--------------------- all the best ----chris --

===========================================================

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 20, 2015 at 7:37:54 pm

Chris -

I'm running an HP Z800 with dual Xeon processors, 48GB of RAM, and an SSD boot drive, so things run pretty crisply...

As far as fonts on the list, if you mean in Nexus, I've categorized things pretty well, so I can get to them quickly, but the shortcut of typing the first letter of the font name works quite well (for Palatino, just type P, and it will go to the first letter P font). As for AE, it works the same way, as long as you're in the Fonts list - type the letter for the font. Same in the Windows/Fonts folder. With 3500 fonts, it gets pretty old scrolling down.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Mar 20, 2015 at 8:24:21 pm

- thanks Joe - much appreciated - all the best -----chris --

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 20, 2015 at 7:12:26 pm

OK, Chris...I just went and downloaded a typeface I know I don't have installed on my machine (I have over 3500 typefaces installed on my workstation, so I wanted to be sure). I put it in a folder, accessed that folder in Nexus, but a check mark next to it (don't know if that's necessary), and it showed up in AE! Then I opened Photoshop, and it showed up just fine there as well!

Here's what I'm running: Win 7, and CS6 Master Collection, AE and PS. I don't think I did anything different from what you described, other than the check mark next to the typeface I selected. That may be the key to it. Thanks again for this, I'm going to start uninstalling fonts - my bootup time will probably be cut in half!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]