ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stabilizing the Center Point of a Spinning Disc

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rajarshi Basu
Stabilizing the Center Point of a Spinning Disc
on Mar 19, 2015 at 8:37:23 am

Hi,

For my film I shot a spinning wheel, 90 degrees camera looking down. Now the axis wasn't perfect in my makeshift spinning rig, and the center of the disc keeps shifting.

I have manually key framed the shot, by fixing the anchor point every 5 frames, but I am getting jittery motion every time the disc completes a complete revolution.

Is there a proper and better way to fix this problem so the disc spins perfectly on its center axis ?

Thanks !

Return to posts index

Matthew Woods
Re: Stabilizing the Center Point of a Spinning Disc
on Mar 19, 2015 at 1:33:32 pm

Its a little hard to say without seeing the footage, but I'd first try stabilizing position either with the warp stabilizer (set to no motion with position method), or possibly the old fashioned tracking stabilize system, if you have a good tracking point at the center of your disk.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Stabilizing the Center Point of a Spinning Disc
on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:41:46 pm

Shooting something like this will give you a slight wobble almost always. Stabilizing that is almost impossible - why not take a good picture, cut the wheel out and animate in AE - you'll get a perfect spin. If you need some sort of light modeling you can always use FreeForm Pro or ShapeShifter AE from Mettle to displace the wheel in true 3d space and add lights.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]