ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

editing an eclipse?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james Bakerediting an eclipse?
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 8:28:24 am

Hi there I am a filmmaker based in Plymouth, UK on Friday there will be a solar eclipse at 9:25 am, I wanted to film and use footage of surrounding landmarks as part of a story I have written where the world is plunged into darkness. I'm not looking to recreate the movement in the sky I just wondered if anyone knew of a way of perhaps moving a shadow across the earth or making the footage appear to naturally get darker, as I think the eclipse is only going to be about 80% darkness. In order for the film to transition into a noir I need this to be as smooth as possible.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: editing an eclipse?
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 5:28:37 pm

Get a bunch of DSLR's, lock them down on the landmarks, and shoot time-lapse stills. No After Effects necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: editing an eclipse?
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 7:56:53 pm

you could also look for tutorials that cover day-to-night conversions.. the idea being you could take a day shot, then use some color correcting effects to make that shot look like night (or darker), then you could use a wipe to make it look like a shadow is sweeping across the shot.

here's one tutorial to get you started: has several others that deal with color adjustment to change the look of the original shot, and you should be able to find many others out there.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

james BakerRe: editing an eclipse?
by on Mar 18, 2015 at 9:22:45 am

thank you very much I shall get right into this, will also try a couple for some time-lapse as well

Return to posts index

Daniel BarhamRe: editing an eclipse?
by on May 6, 2015 at 3:12:25 am

try to darken the area around the camera so the moon pops more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved