ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Vintage movie titles in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kk Akuoku
Vintage movie titles in AE
on Mar 17, 2015 at 1:30:49 am

I've been looking into how to achieve an effective 1960s/1970s look to my videos. In particular, I want to pull off accurate on-screen titles, like the way they're presented in this video:

https://vimeo.com/118324112

I am well aware that the main title was probably produced in AE/Photoshop when the footage was still an ungraded RAW video, but what I don't get is how beautifully integrated and burnt-in it looks, like it was produced at an old-school optical house. This is especially striking to me since most who try to recreate the era in their productions usually film and grade the main footage and work on the credits afterwards, creating a jarringly sharp and sheen-y look that destroys the illusion.

This'll probably be old hat for some of you, but I'm fairly new to AE.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Vintage movie titles in AE
on Mar 17, 2015 at 4:56:59 am

Well it's a pink title that's been blurred a little so the edges don't pop out because it isn't that sharp.

Return to posts index

Kk Akuoku
on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:37:53 am
Last Edited By Kk Akuoku on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:40:10 am

Really? I honestly thought it looked white.

Anyway, how would I go about de-sharpening the credit? (Mind you, I'm a novice to the program)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 17, 2015 at 8:21:55 am

As Tero mentioned, a slight blur (I would use Camera Lens Blur)will soften the edges. I would add a Match Grain effect to better blend in the text. The reason titles look sharp and clean is partly because they lack the grain that video has. Also making sure that you have some color in the title (light pink like the example or whatever other color matches your footage)will help - applying Match Grain to a white title will not do much.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kk Akuoku
on Mar 17, 2015 at 4:01:45 pm

Does the Match Grain Effect work on other colors outside of white (primary, secondary and tertiary)? Also, can this apply to 2D animated effects, as well?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 18, 2015 at 7:59:03 am

My point was not to use white, but to have some color (does not matter what color) in the elements you want the Match Grain effect applied to. In simple terms: do not use white, use an off white (light gray, or any other color) for titles or graphics that need to be white. If your titles are colored, then there are no issues there. It can be applied to any layer that can take effects.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]