ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Forcing After Effects to use more RAM

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonah FortinForcing After Effects to use more RAM
by on Mar 16, 2015 at 8:23:08 pm

Hey all,

So I've been working on a fairly large project within After Effects involving MANY compositions and of course previewing and rendering began to slow down. However my computer has 32GB of RAM - 26 of which is available for After Effects to use and it recognizes that, but yet it only uses 2.5 so I'm wondering if there's any way to FORCE After Effects to use more of the 26GB because this project is getting annoying to work on being so slow (slow includes if I were to try to drag a layer to the left, that too would be very choppy and slow).

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Forcing After Effects to use more RAM
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 1:13:57 pm

Dragging a layer around the viewer is slow because Ae is re-rendering on the fly, not because it's not using enough RAM. You cannot force Ae to use more RAM, but that's not the cause of your problem anyway.

If you haven't seen the Ae docs Improve performance [link] page yet, it's a good read.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Forcing After Effects to use more RAM
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 5:41:56 pm

The link Walter provided may help a bit.

But it sounds as if you have a lot of nested comps in a main comp. Depending on the layer dimensions, the number of nested comps for any one frame, the effects used, number of lights -- just to name a few of the worst offenders --you're forcing AE to do a LOT of calculating. Boatloads of it.

Calculating is done by processors. Not by RAM.

And some effects can only use ONE processor, which forces the entire effects stack on a layer to use just one processor.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonah FortinRe: Forcing After Effects to use more RAM
by on Mar 18, 2015 at 5:28:49 pm

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I just need to suck it up for this project, it's just strange that literally EVERYTHING in Ae is slowed because of the project including just scrolling down in the list of layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved