ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Underwater matt replacement & focus issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kotu NesikiUnderwater matt replacement & focus issues
by on Mar 14, 2015 at 7:07:51 am

Hi folks,

Recently, I was handed over some footage and one of the scenes has a subject placed in water, which has this weird layer-Matt underneath him:

Now I need to remove the matt and make it look like he is in the big waters, floating, keeping the ripples he is making originally and not making the background too dark, because it will need to get dark by infusing ink around him later on.

I tried keying and generating some noise to imitate water, but not sure if that is the right direction, maybe I should generate water with 3D, or Maya, however I do not want it to overlap with original quallities:

Now as I said, later on, he gets surrounded by ink, will look something like this:

This was very poorly focused, however, and sharpening does not help much. Hence, I will need to use the following lighting/footage to generate ink:

Now, my questions are:
  • Any way to replace the matt, with realistic looking dynamic water, with sense of depth, or similar, keeping the original ripple, reflections of the water made by him?

• As far as I know, it's a long shot, but is there any way to deal with unfocused material there, with the ink?

• All is captured with BlackMagic, in RAW *.DNG files.

Any kind of help and/or guidance would be much appreciated..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2016 All Rights Reserved